Blue filter removal on my American Optical AO One -Ten microscope?

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
geo_man

Blue filter removal on my American Optical AO One -Ten microscope?

#1 Post by geo_man » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:29 am

Hi all, I just purchased a very nice AO 110 microscope and am still setting / cleaning it up. There seems to be a blue filter sitting on the Illuminator Window Assembly and there is some dust, etc between it and the underlying glass filter. Is this blue filter meant to pop out? If so, it seems stuck, any suggestions on how to remove it? Thank you!

billbillt

Re: Blue filter removal on my American Optical AO One -Ten microscope?

#2 Post by billbillt » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:43 pm

I have a 110 here, and can see nothing that would mount a filter on the illumination port.. A photo might help..

BillT

apochronaut

#3 Post by apochronaut » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:07 pm

It isn't an uncommon place to put a blue filter on a 110. It is possible that whoever put it there wanted it to be permanent so put a small amount of cement along the edges or it has gotten stuck with something that got under the edges and dried. Other possibility is that it is just such a snug fit that it is jammed. There are those two finger wells on either side of the window. Have you tried putting something like a 1/2 cm. section of an old bank card or plastic food container into one of those to see if you can get under it and give it a gentle pry? I wouldn't use anything really firm like a small screwdriver. That might break it.

geo_man

#4 Post by geo_man » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:45 pm

Thanks guys. I was afraid to damage it (was concerned it was permanently attached), but eventually it came loose. I was able to clean and re-install it! Its looking good.