Hello, new guy just joined the forum today. i'm about to buy my first scope, need a little push

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
Randy

Hello, new guy just joined the forum today. i'm about to buy my first scope, need a little push

#1 Post by Randy » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:34 pm

Hello, i just joined the forum today and I'm about to purchase my first scope. I'll be using it to view pond water, microorganisms, little critters. I've got one in mind and just need a little confidence in pushing the buy button. Here is the scope: https://www.amscope.com/40x-2000x-led-t ... scope.html There are a lot of scopes to choose from and being new to this hobby makes for a hard choice. Just need a little confidence in this purchase. It's in my budget range also.

75RR

Re: Hello, new guy just joined the forum today. i'm about to buy my first scope, need a little push

#2 Post by 75RR » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:22 pm

There is a lot to be said in favor of buying a new under $300 starter microscope, such as limiting your initial outlay and learning the ropes.

Once you have a little more experience you will be able to decide which area of microscopy interests you most and therefore which microscope would be most suitable.

If you are in the USA have a look in Amazon, their prices tend to be a little better and their return policy should there be a quality control problem is most convenient.

There are several threads on this forum dealing with "which microscope should I buy" questions. Have a look through them.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

billbillt

Re: Hello, new guy just joined the forum today. i'm about to buy my first scope, need a little push

#3 Post by billbillt » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:39 pm

Randy wrote:Hello, i just joined the forum today and I'm about to purchase my first scope. I'll be using it to view pond water, microorganisms, little critters. I've got one in mind and just need a little confidence in pushing the buy button. Here is the scope: https://www.amscope.com/40x-2000x-led-t ... scope.html There are a lot of scopes to choose from and being new to this hobby makes for a hard choice. Just need a little confidence in this purchase. It's in my budget range also.
Hello,

I think your choice is a good one....

BillT

PeteM

#4 Post by PeteM » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:58 pm

Randy -- I think you'll eventually want some sort of contrast method to view near-transparent pond critters (which, are mostly protoplasm/water viewed in water). The typical method is "phase contrast" ($$) though polarization, oblique, darkfield, Hoffman Modulation contrast ($$$) and the very pricey ($$$$$) "DIC" are other possibilities. With dead rather than living cells, you can stain them (or buy prepared slides) to get more contrast.

Pretty sure AmScope wants around $400 for its phase contrast kits (four phase objectives and a special condenser) and $700 for the "infinity" ones. They finite ones might sometimes go in sale maybe closer to $350 -- the price of your scope. So it would be cheaper to buy a scope altogether with phase contrast new or used. There will also be good used scopes complete with phase contrast in your $350 or so range.

Good thing about the scope you've chosen is the trinocular head -- you'll want that for photos. And the Amscope 490 model is pretty decent for the price. The possible obstacle is the price of the path toward something like phase contrast if you want that later. If you want to buy new and are limited to $350 or so, it's a good choice. Just recognize the upgrade path will be a bit harder or more expensive.

If you do want to think about used scopes, I've got a write up on brands and models to consider or avoid that I could send you.

Randy

#5 Post by Randy » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:42 am

billbillt wrote:
Randy wrote:Hello, i just joined the forum today and I'm about to purchase my first scope. I'll be using it to view pond water, microorganisms, little critters. I've got one in mind and just need a little confidence in pushing the buy button. Here is the scope: https://www.amscope.com/40x-2000x-led-t ... scope.html There are a lot of scopes to choose from and being new to this hobby makes for a hard choice. Just need a little confidence in this purchase. It's in my budget range also.
Hello,

I think your choice is a good one....

BillT
Thanks Bill, I ordered the amscope 490 today. wish me luck. i'm also, going to get the darkfield condenser to help with the more transparent organisms.

Randy

#6 Post by Randy » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:44 am

Thanks everyone, I ordered the amscope 490 today and also getting a darkfield condenser.

Mintaka

#7 Post by Mintaka » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:16 am

Hi Randy and welcome. I'm sure you'll be happy with your scope. I've recently bought a similar Amscope which I suspect shares the same optical train, and I've only had joy so far.

billbillt

#8 Post by billbillt » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:19 pm

Hi All,

I am excited for the Amscope owners here!... Will be waiting for photos!....

The Best,
BillT

billbillt

#9 Post by billbillt » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:12 pm

Another plus is it uses the 160 mm tube length... Probably the most common tube length ever produced in quantity... Hundreds of objectives for this on Ebay....

BillT

billbillt

#10 Post by billbillt » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:39 pm

Hello Pete M.,

"If you do want to think about used scopes, I've got a write up on brands and models to consider or avoid that I could send you."

Please post this... I would love to read it!...

The Best,
BillT

PeteM

#11 Post by PeteM » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:25 pm

billbillt wrote:Hello Pete M.,

"If you do want to think about used scopes, I've got a write up on brands and models to consider or avoid that I could send you."

Please post this... I would love to read it!...

The Best,
BillT
Hi Bill,

It's likely too long to post, and a work in progress, but I've made copies available to those who requested them.

I'm doing a "Micronaut" program with our county library and Children's Museum. Purpose was to help help mentors and parents pick out a decent new or used microscope.

billbillt

#12 Post by billbillt » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:45 pm

Could you e-mail it to me?...