Buying a new microscope

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
arronar

Buying a new microscope

#1 Post by arronar » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:32 pm

Hello guys.

This is my first post in this forum and i would like to inform you that in a month i will buy to my self a microscope. The problem is that i don't know which brand to choose and what specs to look. I read the articles on the site but i still want some help.

What i want to do with it is to watch cells, nuclei, plastids , insects etc. most biological concepts. I want also to be able to take photos or connect to a PC. The amount of money i will give is around 700-800 euros.

Can you suggest me any specific model that you have used, or any good seller for Europe ?

Thank you.

mrsonchus

Re: Buying a new microscope

#2 Post by mrsonchus » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:27 pm

Welcome and good luck - a microscope is a wonderful thing to own. Choices.....so many.
Starting point - you have 2 factors to consider first, the financial split between 1 - the camera and 2 - the 'scope.
Asking yourself how much you need to spend on each will, together with a short list of what you'd like the 'scope to be able to handle, help you to consider your options....

Quick guide maybe:
Camera = approx £200 (GB) including camera->'scope adapter/s,
Microscope (reasonable quality, basic bright-field biological spec) = approx £400 (GB).

I hope this may give you a little help. :)

Many others will be able to give you some very good advice on this forum.
John B

arronar

#3 Post by arronar » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:05 pm

Thank you very much mrsonchus for yoour quick reply. I will consider this.

gekko

#4 Post by gekko » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:24 pm

I cannot add much to the excellent advice that John gave above except that I would definitely consider a trinocular microscope since you will be using a camera with it. A couple of things that I find add to the convenience are (a) a four- or five-objective turret, and (b) less important, a rear-facing objective turret (which i don't have but did have at one time). One thing to consider is tungsten-halogen or LED lighting. But it is difficult to advise on a brand, but I would read answers to almost identical questions on this forum, and also the advice on buying microscopes on the main MicrobeHunter website.