What are some of the most popular stains (please include wet mount media also)used in Microscopy?

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
lperepol

What are some of the most popular stains (please include wet mount media also)used in Microscopy?

#1 Post by lperepol » Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:46 am

I am taking a poll on the most commonly used stains in microscopy. I'll summarize after a few posts.
Popular Science has a similar article -- that might need to be revisited.
Here is what I have on my list including wet mount media:

1) Bismarck Brown Y
2) Eosin Y
3) India Ink
4) Iodine Solution
5) Janus Green B 
6) Methylene Blue
7) Neutral Red
8) Red Food Coloring
9) Glycerol (wet mount media)
1) OMAX 40X-2500X 18MP USB3 Plan Phase Contrast Trinocular LED with Turret Phase Disk
2) AmScope Trinocular Stereo, 3.5X-90X Magnification Four-Zone LED Ring Light

desertrat

Re: What are some of the most popular stains (please include wet mount media also)used in Microscopy?

#2 Post by desertrat » Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:34 pm

Hematoxylin is still used a lot a as nuclear stain in microtome sections which are double stained. Eosin is the usual counterstain.

Carmine is still used for whole mounts of small organisms or small pieces of organisms in the animal kingdom.

These two stains are probably not much used by hobby microscopists these days.
Rick

A/O 10 Series Microstar
A/O 4 Series Microstar
A/O 4 Series Phasestar
A/O 4 Series Apostar
A/O Cycloptic Stereo
Several old monocular scopes in more or less decrepit but usable condition

gastrotrichman

Re: What are some of the most popular stains (please include wet mount media also)used in Microscopy?

#3 Post by gastrotrichman » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:23 am

Aceto orcein is often used to stain chromosomes. I find it useful as a quick stain for gastrotrichs. Toward the end of studying an immobile specimen I may run a very small amount of 2 percent aceto orcein under the coverslip. The pharynx, and scales on the outside of the specimen, often become clearer. Sometimes I dilute the stain with acetic acid to reduce the chances of overstaining; overstaining tends to obscure details rather then clarify them. Aceto orcein also seems to "dissolve" cilia, which may allow structures otherwise obscured by cilia to be examined. If applied too soon to a moribund specimen, it may cause the specimen to become distorted. In the U.S., small amounts (e.g., 10 ml) of 2 percent aceto orcein can be purchased from biological supply houses.

Natural orcein is extracted from two species of lichen. Synthetic orcein also is available, but is reputed to provide less contrast than natural orcein. I infer that the aceto orcein generally available is probably made with synthetic orcein.

Note that the stain has a fairly high concentration of acetic acid, and should be handled accordingly.
gastrotrichman

Nikon Microphot
Leitz Orthoplan
Wild M8
Bausch & Lomb MicroZoom

Hobbyst46

#4 Post by Hobbyst46 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:58 pm

Methylene blue is popular for staining mammal cells in cultures.