Where do they come from?

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
drasbell

Where do they come from?

#1 Post by drasbell » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:13 am

Ok I have a question that has been on my mind for a some time now.
I may have asked this question on here in the past but I cant find it, so here goes.
If you make a hay culture. water grass and leave it in the dark for a week or so you'll end up with paramiciums,and lots of other one celled organisms.
So where do they come from? are they airborne, in the water or on the plant its self.
I don't belive in spontainous generation. So they must have a live start form something?
i have tried many diffrent combinations
Left in the dark, left in the daylight
With a lid on the jar vrs no lid.
used tap water have even gone as far as using bottled water, boiled water.
With just about the same results with the excption of diffrent population growth times.
So what's your thoughts,
Thanks William

wporter

Re: Where do they come from?

#2 Post by wporter » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:15 am

They form spores and cysts when a water body dries up, and get reconstituted when conditions improve (i.e., they get immersed in water). Soil holds the cysts etc., so they are all around us. Birds, wind, and insects can transport them between bodies of water, also.

zzffnn

#3 Post by zzffnn » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:06 am

They most likely come from your "hay" or "water grass", if you use boiled water without any other pond ingredients and cover lids all the time. Air transportation to your culture jar is not impossible though.

Hobbyst46

#4 Post by Hobbyst46 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:59 pm

Experiments in this mood were performed by L. Spallanzanni and later by L. Pasteur and constitute a rewarding reading material.

drasbell

#5 Post by drasbell » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:58 am

wporter wrote:They form spores and cysts when a water body dries up, and get reconstituted when conditions improve (i.e., they get immersed in water). Soil holds the cysts etc., so they are all around us. Birds, wind, and insects can transport them between bodies of water, also.
I like this makes me almost satisfied as an answer, but have you ever tried drying up the water then reconstitute it? I have not, but I'm going to try. How do they know its time to go into hibernation? so to speak? and if their cysts what do they look like? going to look into this more, thanks for your feedback, I'm not kooky i like to relearn the old ways of microscopy, chemistry and astronomy.
while I'm at work working on diesel trucks, this is running through my head lol
Hobbyst46 wrote:Experiments in this mood were performed by L. Spallanzanni and later by L. Pasteur and constitute a rewarding reading material.
thanks i will look them up.