Recommendations for a good text book to aid and explain what I am seeing.

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
lperepol

Recommendations for a good text book to aid and explain what I am seeing.

#1 Post by lperepol » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:45 pm

Biased toward freshwater life in ponds (Southern Central British Columbia location may be too specific.)
1) OMAX 40X-2500X 18MP USB3 Plan Phase Contrast Trinocular LED with Turret Phase Disk
2) AmScope Trinocular Stereo, 3.5X-90X Magnification Four-Zone LED Ring Light

desertrat

Re: Recommendations for a good text book to aid and explain what I am seeing.

#2 Post by desertrat » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:10 am

I mentioned this a while back, and it can be downloaded for free:

There are some very good, detailed drawings of all kinds of freshwater micro-flora and micro-fauna in Freshwater Biology by Ward and Whipple, published in 1918, downloadable on the internet. The only major drawback is that the genus and species names of quite a few organisms have changed drastically in the last century.

But if you find something in the text that looks like your critter, Googling the name found in the text often brings up links with the modern names.

https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/ite ... 7/mode/1up

If you want something more recent, Fresh Water Invertebrates of the United States, by Robert W. Pennak is similar but more modern. However, it doesn't cover plants or insects. Since it was first published in 1953, and newer editions published more recently, it's not available for download.

But internet booksellers like Abebooks have many copies available. The first edition from 1953 is priced as low as a little over $3, and free shipping. (in the USA) Although it covers the USA, not Canada, I think the variety of pond life in Canada anywhere near the US border would be similar.

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDe ... 1-_-title1

This list has all his available publications, including later editions of the above book, at higher cost. I haven't seen any of the later editions, but the first edition from 1953 looks pretty comprehensive.

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Search ... =100121503
Rick

A/O 10 Series Microstar
A/O 4 Series Microstar
A/O 4 Series Phasestar
A/O 4 Series Apostar
A/O Cycloptic Stereo
Several old monocular scopes in more or less decrepit but usable condition

Tom Jones

#3 Post by Tom Jones » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:30 am

My edition of Ward and Whipple is from 1959. Quite a few are available used on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Fresh-Water-Biol ... 047123298X Take a look at the download 1918 version first to see if you think it will meet your needs.

Don't worry about being location specific. Most of the reference books are not.

Check out your local public or college library. If they don't have what you need, you can probably get it by inter-library loan. At least that way you can see what you'll be getting before you buy.

gastrotrichman

#4 Post by gastrotrichman » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:50 am

You might find the "Thorp and Covich" volumes on North American freshwater invertebrates useful. The fourth edition came out in two volumes over the last few years, but is pretty expensive. However, the earlier, single-volume editions are quite good and are available "used" for considerably less than the fourth edition.
gastrotrichman

Nikon Microphot
Leitz Orthoplan
Wild M8
Bausch & Lomb MicroZoom

TomB

#5 Post by TomB » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:17 pm

Hi
I use Protozoology by Kudo Published by Thomas and "How to know the protozoa" bu Jahn, Bovee, Jahn Pub McGraw Hill, with Ward and Whipple. They cover all my needs here in the UK. Good Luck!

einman

#6 Post by einman » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:52 pm

I have listed these before but here is another quick look. Many have already been mentioned. Pictures are easier than typing the authors etc! All of these texts can be found on Amazon or Abes books as mentioned for very reasonable prices.