Zeiss Axiomat objectives

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
wstenberg

Zeiss Axiomat objectives

#1 Post by wstenberg » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:50 am

OK, I am hunting objectives for a Zeiss Axiomat. They have an unusual 28mm thread.

How do I identify them on Ebay? It's hard to tell the thread diameter from photos. Is there some identifying mark that will let me know that it's for an Axiomat? or do I have to ask the seller to measure the diameter and hope for the best?

Here's one I recently purchased on eBay...
Attachments
s-l1600-1.jpg
s-l1600-1.jpg (70.02 KiB) Viewed 6195 times
William
Astoria, Oregon

Zeiss Axiomat
Zeiss Stereomikroskop
Zeiss Tessovar

Hobbyst46

Re: Zeiss Axiomat objectives

#2 Post by Hobbyst46 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:27 pm

I can't answer the question directly, but EPI objectives tend to have a larger-diameter thread than trans illumination objectives. I noticed it on an old Nikon and likewise on a modern Olympus.

apochronaut

#3 Post by apochronaut » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:09 pm

The Axiomat does have unusually large threads for all objectives and as a result a stunning f.o.v. The program was discontinued because the instruments were just too expensive. Everything on them is huge.
I know a guy in Toronto who specializes in them. Has parts. If you want me to connect you two, send me your email by p.m. and I will pass it on to him.

houstontx

#4 Post by houstontx » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:25 am

I was bidding on some axiomats coming out of a hard drive mfgr's plant during a shutdown. I was outbid and let them go before I knew what they were, 4 or 5 of them sold for $600 each...I still cry when I think about it.

wstenberg

#5 Post by wstenberg » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:37 pm

According to legend, only 800 Axiomat microscopes were ever produced. Too big, heavy, expensive so they were discontinued, despite the fact that Zeiss spent a fortune developing them. It was supposed to be the ideal modular microscope, replacing the Universal/Photomicroscope line. I think Zeiss never even made it to the break-even point. Most went to the semiconductor industry. They were hoping for a big run in Biomedical Research, but it didn’t materialize.
William
Astoria, Oregon

Zeiss Axiomat
Zeiss Stereomikroskop
Zeiss Tessovar

desertrat

#6 Post by desertrat » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:58 pm

Never having seen an Axiomat before, I did some internet image searching. The thing looks kind of like an office copy machine with a binocular viewing head sticking out of one end. Amazing....
Rick

A/O 10 Series Microstar
A/O 4 Series Microstar
A/O 4 Series Phasestar
A/O 4 Series Apostar
A/O Cycloptic Stereo
Several old monocular scopes in more or less decrepit but usable condition

houstontx

#7 Post by houstontx » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:44 am

So they are transmitted and reflected light? Or just reflected light?

If transmitted, do they also have transmitted DIC?

apochronaut

#8 Post by apochronaut » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:07 pm

I have used an Axiomat. They are quite impressive and truly modular. The f.o.v. with 10X oculars was 25mm, I recall and it could take 4 sets of oculars, one on each side of a more or less cube shaped frame. There was facility for all film formats, 16mm film and video. The mag changer was a little extreme, capable of pushing the total magnification to 2500X. I remember seeing bacillus on the screen the size of sausages but with little detail. The real capability of course, was about 1550X, or the same as any other planapo 100X 1.4 N.A. optical system could boast, which I think was it's oil immersion limit but I don't know that for sure. Everything was big. Holding one of the huge objectives in your hand was I imagine like holding a grenade, seemed about the same size anyway....better put this somewhere safe before I drop it and make a mess. They were ungodly heavy.

They were both reflected and transmitted with whatever bells and whistles a microscope could have at the time. The only objectives that worked on them were Axiomat objectives and it was the Zeiss entry into infinity corrected optics,about 10 years after AO and a little after the Reichert Univar, which was to some degree it's direct competitor. Ultimately, the price of it was too high. I heard estimates in mid 6 figures by 1985, roughly when the program was cancelled. Ultimately, the AO/Reichert Poly line of microscopes became the heir to the concept of both the Axiomat and the Univar and had a fairly successful run.