Has anyone tried fossil microscopy???

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
microbe fanatic

Has anyone tried fossil microscopy???

#1 Post by microbe fanatic » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:09 am

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone has tried to observe fossilized cells. I heard that their has even been such a thing as fossilized DNA! Anyways, I have a piece of petrified wood. Would anyone know the best way to prepare it for viewing? I am guessing I would saw it flat the polish it with a buffering wheel. I have neither of those. I might be able to hand buffer or use a drill. But I would not know how to saw it, any suggestions?

gekko

Re: Has anyone tried fossil microscopy???

#2 Post by gekko » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:28 pm

I hope someone else can answer your question; all I can do is welcome you to the forum.

microbe fanatic

#3 Post by microbe fanatic » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:43 pm

Thanks!!! do you collect any slides? I have a monarch butterfly wing (it already died), and a somewhat rotted tape covered
flower petal slide so far! I have gotten better at preserving them using school glue and glass slides. Anyways, I think I will just polish one side of it and then use dark field techniques to illuminate the fossil. Thanks again!

gekko

#4 Post by gekko » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:54 pm

I neither collect nor make slides (although I've bought a few). You can find much useful information about making a slide of your butterfly wing on the main MicrobeHunter website and it is well worth spending time checking it out.

Mintaka

#5 Post by Mintaka » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:02 pm

Never looked at fossils either, but I have been meaning to examine chalk under the microscope. If I understand correctly it is made up of little ancient skeletons. Welcome from my side too! :)

Crater Eddie

#6 Post by Crater Eddie » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:08 pm

Mintaka wrote:Never looked at fossils either, but I have been meaning to examine chalk under the microscope. If I understand correctly it is made up of little ancient skeletons. Welcome from my side too! :)
Be careful what chalk you try, I think they are making it from a synthetic material these days. Or at least some of it.

And "Welcome to the forum" to the original poster!
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

microbe fanatic

#7 Post by microbe fanatic » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:23 pm

Mintaka wrote:Never looked at fossils either, but I have been meaning to examine chalk under the microscope. If I understand correctly it is made up of little ancient skeletons. Welcome from my side too! :)
Thanks to all the welcoming posts! I believe that most chalk is made of limestone, limestone contains fossils I believe so
that would indirectly mean it would have been made of skeletons.

microbe fanatic

#8 Post by microbe fanatic » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:29 pm

butterflyscales300x.png
butterflyscales300x.png (58 KiB) Viewed 4300 times
gekko wrote:I neither collect nor make slides (although I've bought a few). You can find much useful information about making a slide of your butterfly wing on the main MicrobeHunter website and it is well worth spending time checking it out.
Thanks! I have researched my slides quite a bit actually. I have had them for awhile. Here are some photos of the butterfly wing!
Attachments
butterfly300x.png
butterfly300x.png (40.77 KiB) Viewed 4300 times
buttefly wingslide.png
buttefly wingslide.png (59.63 KiB) Viewed 4300 times