Leitz SM-LUX-POL

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
jb89

Leitz SM-LUX-POL

#1 Post by jb89 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:24 am

Hi everyone!

I am a geology student looking to purchase a microscope for my own studies outside of the classroom.
This is a big investment for me and I have spent a long time looking around but still don't know exactly what I need.

For my work I need:
-A rotating stage
-polarizing
-Bertrand lens
-compensator (1/4 lambda) ( The part number is listed in the manual as 17847-550) but I can't find one for sale, are these generally universal?
-approximately $1500 or less
- I think I have this terminology incorrect but 10x, 20x(ish) and 40(ish) objectives

I am not sure if these microscopes are missing parts or pieces that would require me to buy additional items(aside from the compensator which I can see is not present)
If I get a trinocular version with the hopes of eventually taking pictures of my thin sections, would I need a special cover for the trinocular tube when it's not in use?

These are two that I have been looking at, I would prefer the trinocular but it hasn't been serviced or tested thoroughly so I don't know if that's a fair price.
The trinocular also has a manual X/Y stage which I am not familiar with and I'm not sure if it would be useful or burdensome in my field.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Leitz-SM-LUX-P ... Sw7KhchZdN
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Leitz-SM-LUX-P ... Swm41c-XSP

I was just hoping for some general advice and feedback, even if this isn't a geology centric forum it seems like you guys are quite the experts!
Thank you in advance!

The microscope that I normally use in class is a monocular Meiji 9000 and it's ok but it's limitations are apparent very quickly, would this be a step up from that?

Also, some of these microscopes have warranty periods(often very short), is there a flowchart or guide for going through and verifying that everything is operating as it should?

Edit: Added a few requirements
Last edited by jb89 on Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Roldorf

Re: Leitz SM-LUX-POL

#2 Post by Roldorf » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:01 pm

Do you have a budget? Would be a great help for the members.

Unknown Brand: Optika SFX 91: Bresser Science Infinity: Canon 4000d
ImageImage

jb89

#3 Post by jb89 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:04 pm

I would like to stay under $1500, the SM-LUX-POL's are definitely stretching my budget but I can make exceptions if absolutely necessary

Scarodactyl

#4 Post by Scarodactyl » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:18 pm

It's notoriously difficult to find a great deal on a used geological scope. Unlike, say, most biologists, geologists seem to cling to their microscopes with rabid ferocity. The closest I have managed is adding a medical polarizer (gypsum wedge, no bertrand) to my nikon alphaphot. I wish I'd been into scopes during my masters thesis, since my advisor had an incredible petrographic scope that I'd love to know the specs on.
Not sure if these leitzes have full geological capabilities, or id they just have a linear polarizer. You also definitely want the rotating stage, not just a linear x y, for examining thin sections.

jb89

#5 Post by jb89 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:23 pm

Scarodactyl,

Thanks for replying!

I was under the impression that the stage on that SM-LUX-POL was both rotating w/ goniometer as well as having the X/Y stage, would only one be usable at a time? I have never seen such a thing in person.