Leitz accessories/parts (ploemopak/objectives)

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
jb89

Leitz accessories/parts (ploemopak/objectives)

#1 Post by jb89 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:06 am

Hi guys,

Just got my new scope and I've been playing with it a ton, some pictures here https://imgur.com/a/5QXHJVN

My microscope is a late 70's(I think) Leitz SM-LUX-POL
I have 10x eyepieces and my objectives are 170/- 10/0.25 P, 160/0.17 NPL FLUOTAR 25/0.55 P, 160/0.17 NPL FLUOTAR 40/0.70 P

I want to get a lower power objective, around 5x and a higher one, 100x oil (will rarely use it but it does have it's applications.) but I have a lot of questions regarding new objectives:

Can I use objectives from other brands of microscopes as long as the Tube Length/Threading is the same, are there other factors?

If I get non Pol/P objectives will I see a large difference when doing polarized work?

I also want to be able to use incident light in the future with a ploemopak, I haven't been able to find a good resource on these but it's my understanding that I will just attach it and a lamp and then I will have reflected light?

Will I need to swap objectives to something reflected light specific for this?

Thanks!

Edit:
Can anyone confirm the tube length of the sm-lux-pol?
I have seen it called 160 and 170 in different posts, my 170mm 10x and 160mm 20x and 40x's seem to work fine which makes me think its 170mm

Edit 2:
Just want to update my post with the information I have found in case anyone else is searching for it at a later date.

The SM-LUX-POL is 170mm Tube Length

Objectives for transmitted light
Achromats:
4/0.12 P
10/0.25 P
40/.065 P
FL 63/0.85 P
Oil 100/1.30 P

Objectives for incident light:
Planachromats/ NPL
NPL 5x/0.09 P
NPL 10x/0.20 P
NPL 20x/0.40P
NPL 50x/0.85 P
NPL 125x/1.30 P
--------------
To use the high power oil objectives the use of a oil condenser top is recommended (1.33/1.4), these are apparently quite rare. 1.33p is mentioned in the manual while I haven't seen mention of the 1.4
--------------
The ploemopaks seems to be varying levels of "plug and play" for incident light, I cannot confirm working parts or part numbers at this time but I will try to in the near future.
--------------
Interference figures may be obtained by either removing an eyepiece (will not produce a very usable picture)
The image can be improved with part number "553 031" "Pinhole Stop"
Another option is a bertrand lens attachment "553 400" "Bertrand lens intermediate attachment"
--------------
I tested cover glass on a petrographic thin section and found that at 400x there is not much of a difference, I would be able to identify the minerals either way.
It still may be a "best practice" to get a set of transmitted and a set of incident light objectives if planning to work with both frequently.
Last edited by jb89 on Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

MichaelG.

Re: Leitz accessories/parts (ploemopak/objectives)

#2 Post by MichaelG. » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:31 am

If you don't have it already ... This should be useful:
http://earth2geologists.net/Microscopes ... manual.pdf

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

75RR

#3 Post by 75RR » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:46 pm

Can I use objectives from other brands of microscopes as long as the Tube Length/Threading is the same, are there other factors?
In almost all finite tube objectives the final part of the aberration corrections are done in the eyepieces, with the first part done in the objective itself.

This effectively means that when using an objective from a different manufacturer one should use the corresponding eyepieces as well.

This adds to the expense and detracts from the ease of use, not to mention potential parfocality issues, so it is usually just done for a very special and specific objective.

It is possible to find Leitz objectives at good prices, just not usually from one day to another. A little patience will save you money.
Last edited by 75RR on Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

jb89

#4 Post by jb89 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:26 am

Mich
MichaelG. wrote:If you don't have it already ... This should be useful:
http://earth2geologists.net/Microscopes ... manual.pdf
MichaelG.
Thanks! I do have that and a few other bits of literature such as the 160/170mm TL Memo

Thanks 75RR, I didn't realize that there was correction done in the eyepieces.

I have previously read somewhere that there are specific eyepieces for polarized work but I cannot find that PDF any longer.

I am thinking that at my skill level I do not need to have the /most correct/ set up I just need to get experience with the scope, making slides and playing around but I would gladly take any advice I can get!

I have been trying to read up on the ploemopak and it seems like I may need/or at least it's recommended to use seperate objectives for incident light as opposed to transmitted light.
Polished sections of rock analyzed under incident light also generally do not have cover glass, would my image suffer greatly (in usability as opposed to looking great) if I used for example my 160/0.17 NPL FLUOTAR 40/0.70 P for transmitted light without a cover slip? Or would it be acceptable to just lay a cover slip on the polished section? I suppose my professor may know and I should send them an e-mail as well.

I have seen some examples comparing objectives on the forum but my usage is a little out of the ordinary and I don't know what to expect

edit:
Do I need a special condenser to use the leitz 100x objective? -- In the documentation I often see information that I am unsure if it's a recommendation or if it's required, or if it's purely for professional quality imaging.