help buying a microscope

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
karaya75

help buying a microscope

#1 Post by karaya75 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:55 pm

Hello everybody

I am a ancient coin collector, and i need to buy a microsocope to help me identify good from conterfait coins. a micro to do a work like it is shown in this link:

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/art ... thing.html

75RR

Re: help buying a microscope

#2 Post by 75RR » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:46 pm

Hi karaya75, welcome

Looking through the article you linked to the author mentions using a LOMO MBS-10

That is a stereo microscope, see link below:

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/ind ... mbs10.html
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Scarodactyl

#3 Post by Scarodactyl » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:20 pm

Stereo microscopes are wonderful tools. The MBS-10 in the article is a decent scope but I think not really top end (I say 'I think' just because I haven't used one myself, and have to draw from somewhat varied second-hand accounts) so you can affordably get sinilar or better performance. There are tons of great stereos you can get used across a range of features and budgets.
Note that stereos are unbeatable for comfortable examination at low to medium magnification because of the three-dimensional image they produce, but they generally have lower resolution than other choices because of their long working distances and because they have to fit two light paths side-by-side, so they aren't as ideal for high-end photography--fine for documentation or lower resolution photos though.
What is your budget like?

karaya75

#4 Post by karaya75 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:19 am

hello

thank you both for the reply to my post, its max 200 euros.