AO 1036A Touch-Up Paint?

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
Docgene888

AO 1036A Touch-Up Paint?

#1 Post by Docgene888 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:46 pm

Hi,

I am relatively new to the forum having posted for the first time in the past week in the introduction and camera sections. I am a nearly-retired physician and am returning to the photomicroscopy hobby after a decades-long absence and recently acquired six microscopes after prevailing in a federal government auction (www.GSAAuctions.gov). The lot consisted of four like-new Olympus scopes (2 CX31s and 2 SZ61TR-LEDs) and two older AO models. The latter two of those six former VA hospital microscopes are a 1036A and the other a 110 Microstar Dual Head (consultant) model with a 40x phase contrast objective/condenser. The 1036A came without a transformer although I was able to purchase one for $35 on ebay but it came with a less-than-gently used 1036A microscope. Although it appears from the photos to have a phase condenser, it also appears that there are chips in the paint near the condenser. It arrives in the mail tomorrow so I will know more then. I was hoping to be able to either rebuild the microscope as a project to start a collection or perhaps fixing it up for gifting to friends/family.

Does anyone know of a source for touch-up paint for that model AO? I searched the user.mission website without luck. If there is no “commercially” available source, does anyone have an alternative suggestion (or even a formula) to mix up a batch to (closely) match the original grey (what I presume to be epoxy) coating?

Thanks In advance!

Best,

Gene
Olympus CX31
Olympus SZ61TR-LED
AmScope T490B-LED
AmScope SM-2TZ-LED
AO 110 MicroStar Dual Head
Canon EOS 40D

apochronaut

Re: AO 1036A Touch-Up Paint?

#2 Post by apochronaut » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:56 pm

I think Einman did some touch up . I'm not sure but some of the forum members have been in the business of selling/repairing AO microscopes in the past.
It is an epoxy.

I looked for a bit of a thread that was here, with some good tips and found it.
viewtopic.php?t=6484

PeteM

#3 Post by PeteM » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:37 pm

I'd guess, given the age, that the A.O. gray is an oil-based enamel with hardener (on edit, but defer to Apo's judgement above that it's an epoxy).

FWIW, I've had decent luck mixing up my own touch up paints, starting with spray cans (mainly because they have relatively cheap small quantities). You might start by taking your stand to a place with LOTS of options (large hardware store, auto parts, or hobby shop) and then finding the closest-matching warm gray you can find in a gloss finish. Then judge if it needs to be a bit darker (tiniest bit of black), a bit warmer (maybe red-brown), a bit lighter and warmer (warm off-white), etc. I spray into a small stainless mixing cup, use an artist's brush, and try the match. Since you'll need to fill the chipped areas with several coats it doesn't matter if the first undercoat is a bit off when the paint dries. Keep adjusting color until you're satisfied.

It helps to have a full spectrum color source while you're doing this. Same paint can look very different under various fluorescent, incandescent, LED, sun, northern sky, etc. lights.

You can also have a paint store "shoot" the color and mix up a match. It will usually be off a bit with enamels and even a quart may cost as much as 5 or so spray cans.
Last edited by PeteM on Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

apochronaut

#4 Post by apochronaut » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:44 pm

PeteM wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:37 pm
I'd guess, given the age, that the A.O. gray is an oil-based enamel with hardener (on edit, but defer to Apo's judgement above that it's an epoxy).
It's not a judgement. It's in black and white in AO literature.

PeteM

#5 Post by PeteM » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:55 pm

Well, there you go. FWIW, the use of spray equipment to shoot two component epoxies was very rare here even after the late 70's. There were "epoxy modified" single shot paints. Now (for industrial metal stuff) both are largely replaced by powder coating. A solvent based enamel does fine for touchup - and an acrylic latex enamel would likely be OK as well.

Docgene888

#6 Post by Docgene888 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:37 pm

Hi Apochronaut and Pete,

Thanks! I missed the thread on enamel during my limited search. As mentioned at that link, my concern is matching the surface sheen of the touched-up spots even I f I do get a close color match. If that concern proves to be a valid one, I think I’d rather leave the “battle scars” as evidence of heavy (and hopefully productive) use over the years as opposed to a suboptimal outcome. I’ll see what products I can locate and first test an inconspicuous location.

Best,

Gene
Olympus CX31
Olympus SZ61TR-LED
AmScope T490B-LED
AmScope SM-2TZ-LED
AO 110 MicroStar Dual Head
Canon EOS 40D