Upgradable compound microscope choice

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
DonKaryote

Upgradable compound microscope choice

#1 Post by DonKaryote » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:23 pm

Hello ! As I've stated in my presentation topic I have some knowledge about the principles of microscopy and some basic practical knowledge thanks to my bachelor in biology.
I'm looking for a good compound microscope that can be upgraded as I learn, since from what I have gathered so far it seems to be the best option for motivated beginners that are going to need a good tool further on.

Phase contrast seems to be a must in the upgrades since I'm interested mostly in observing eukaryotic cells and their organelles. Prokaryotes too will be interesting to me.

A quick search just to give me an idea of the prices of microscopes already equipped with phase contrast technology pointed me toward a model at 1800$ (Unico G505). I don't know anything about this brand or model but it looks decent.
Is this more or less the price for that kind of microscope ?

Obviously I don't want to spend that much just to get started so I'd love to get some advices on models that are suitable for me around 800$
How much would I have to spend after that to upgrade to phase contrast ?
Are there any other usefull upgrades that should be added ?

Thanks

Bonus question : is DIC something feasible for an experienced amateur ? Is it possible to add this feature later on ?

Peter

Re: Upgradable compound microscope choice

#2 Post by Peter » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:03 pm

Hi Don,
I'm sorry, but I cannot help you with your search for a microscope, however, I think DIC is something well worth having.
Hope this helps.
Peter.

75RR

#3 Post by 75RR » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:53 pm

Hi DonKaryote,
apart from reading the threads on "what microscope should I buy" on the forum, I suggest you look at the microscopes of the members at My microscope and also have a look at the photos made with them at Pictures and Videos. Then look up the prices.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

DonKaryote

#4 Post by DonKaryote » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:58 pm

Thanks guys, I'll start searching.
Peter, if you don't mind my asking, do you yourself have a DIC enabled microscope ? did you buy the equipment for that separately ? if yes was it expensive ? I juste want to get an idea of the expenses I'm going to have to face.

Peter

#5 Post by Peter » Fri May 01, 2015 5:30 pm

Hi Don,
In answer to your questions: "do you yourself have a DIC enabled microscope ?" Yes; "did you buy the equipment for that separately?" No; "was it expensive ?" Yes.
Hope this helps.
Peter.

vasselle

#6 Post by vasselle » Sat May 02, 2015 8:39 am

Bonjour.
Il y a aussi sur le marché de occasions de très bonne affaire pour un microscope.
Microscope Leitz Laborlux k
Boitier EOS 1200D + EOS 1100D