Nikon Optiphot replacement bulb

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
Post Reply
Message
Author
Sauerkraut
Posts: 211
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:07 am
Location: Oregon, USA

Nikon Optiphot replacement bulb

#1 Post by Sauerkraut » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:08 pm

I'm looking for a 12v 50w halogen bulb for my second Optiphot lamp house, since I seem to have a problem saying 'no' to more microscopes.

The ones on eBay are a bit pricey (~ $26.00) and don't disclose the pin base specs:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/REPLACEMENT-BU ... 3360356665

Would something like this work equally well? It has the same T3.5 shape, and GY6.35 base (is that what the Optiphot uses?):

https://www.amazon.com/Sunlite-Q50-GY6- ... 69&sr=8-11


Heather

User avatar
75RR
Posts: 7278
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:34 am
Location: Estepona, Spain

Re: Nikon Optiphot replacement bulb

#2 Post by 75RR » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:20 pm

Perhaps this will help

https://www.morrellonline.com/store/p29 ... _Bulb.html

They used to be http://www.microscopebulb.com/ they appear to have been taken over.

Here is the old bulb catalog: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7tkkarwlk5ltt ... y.pdf?dl=0

Note: No need to create an account to download from Dropbox.
Just scroll to the bottom of the invitation window and click on 'No thanks, continue to view'
Then press 'download' at top right of screen.
Last edited by 75RR on Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Hobbyst46
Posts: 2889
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:02 pm

Re: Nikon Optiphot replacement bulb

#3 Post by Hobbyst46 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:25 pm

I think that a 12V car lamp from an Automobile parts store or even Home Depot might work. Just a guess.
Zeiss Standard GFL+Canon EOS-M10, Olympus VMZ stereo

User avatar
75RR
Posts: 7278
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:34 am
Location: Estepona, Spain

Re: Nikon Optiphot replacement bulb

#4 Post by 75RR » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:01 am

A search in bulbworks using catalog number 76516 gives these results:

Only the first of which has the vertical side facing filament

https://www.bulbworks.com/advancedSearc ... t_no=76516
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Sauerkraut
Posts: 211
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:07 am
Location: Oregon, USA

Re: Nikon Optiphot replacement bulb

#5 Post by Sauerkraut » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:24 pm

75RR wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:01 am
A search in bulbworks using catalog number 76516 gives these results:

Only the first of which has the vertical side facing filament
Thank you, 75RR. That's an interesting observation about the vertical filament. I'll have to investigate the merits of the vertical vs horizontal filaments.

abednego1995
Posts: 97
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:32 am

Re: Nikon Optiphot replacement bulb

#6 Post by abednego1995 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:58 am

You’ll need a vertical facing filament to fill the aperture at high numerical apertures.

Cheers,
John

Sauerkraut
Posts: 211
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:07 am
Location: Oregon, USA

Re: Nikon Optiphot replacement bulb

#7 Post by Sauerkraut » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:47 pm

abednego1995 wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:58 am
You’ll need a vertical facing filament to fill the aperture at high numerical apertures.
That's good to know. Thank you. My current Optiphot has a horizontal filament so it will be interesting to compare the two bulb varieties under various conditions.

photomicro
Posts: 172
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:28 am
Location: UK

Re: Nikon Optiphot replacement bulb

#8 Post by photomicro » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:28 pm

Sauerkraut wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:47 pm
abednego1995 wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:58 am
You’ll need a vertical facing filament to fill the aperture at high numerical apertures.
That's good to know. Thank you. My current Optiphot has a horizontal filament so it will be interesting to compare the two bulb varieties under various conditions.
The bulb stated in the Optiphot manual is a Philips 7027 or Osram 64610. Whilst in the hand, with pins at the bottom, the filament is horizontal or transverse, when mounted into the lamp from the side, it then lies vertically in use. This may explain the apparent contradiction in the dialogue above.

MichaelG.
Posts: 2381
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:24 am
Location: NorthWest England

Re: Nikon Optiphot replacement bulb

#9 Post by MichaelG. » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:36 pm

7027 should be readily available worldwide ... it is [or was] very widely used:
https://www.mygreenlighting.co.uk/repla ... /8925.html

MichaelG.
.
Edit: just noticed that Osram also offers a Xenon filled version, which is brighter:
https://www.osram.com/appsj/pdc/pdf.do? ... MP_1006731
Too many 'projects'

Hobbyst46
Posts: 2889
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:02 pm

Re: Nikon Optiphot replacement bulb

#10 Post by Hobbyst46 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:07 pm

photomicro wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:28 pm
Sauerkraut wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:47 pm
abednego1995 wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:58 am
You’ll need a vertical facing filament to fill the aperture at high numerical apertures.
That's good to know. Thank you. My current Optiphot has a horizontal filament so it will be interesting to compare the two bulb varieties under various conditions.
The bulb stated in the Optiphot manual is a Philips 7027 or Osram 64610. Whilst in the hand, with pins at the bottom, the filament is horizontal or transverse, when mounted into the lamp from the side, it then lies vertically in use. This may explain the apparent contradiction in the dialogue above.
Inspected an Optiphot with transverse filament bulb, and it functions flawlessly in brightfield, and provides Kohler illumination.
Zeiss Standard GFL+Canon EOS-M10, Olympus VMZ stereo

Post Reply