Returning my Omax M83EZ

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
SizeDoesn'tMatter

Returning my Omax M83EZ

#1 Post by SizeDoesn'tMatter » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:40 pm

Hi.
I found out today that, contrary to the ebay uk listing, this scope doesn't have a recommended dark field kit, so I'm sending it back.

So, now that I've found this helpful forum, I'd be really grateful for any thoughts/recommendations for a trinocular compound scope... not amscope this time. Price limit of about £500, maybe a little more. I'm particularly interested in observing, and photographing, protozoa.

Many thanks.

PeteM

Re: Returning my Omax M83EZ

#2 Post by PeteM » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:27 pm

A few thoughts:

- It's pretty easy to cobble together darkfield stops for most microscopes, up to 20x objective power. 40x is harder. Above that and you'll likely need a proper darkfield condenser and great care in preparation. So, if your heart is set on darkfield from about 40x (400x with 10x eyepieces) up, your best bet under 500 pounds ($660 or so US) might be to look for a good used darkfield condenser (harder to find) and then mate a matching used microscope to it.

- Phase contrast with a "Zernicke" type condenser (rotates to various phase stops) might be what you'd really enjoy for protists. In addition to the phase annuli, these usually also come with a darkfield stop usable with up to 20x, maybe the 40x, objectives. Leitz (Laborlux off-white scope era), Nikon (Labophot era), Olympus (BH2 era), and Zeiss (Standard models) are all decent when equipped with phase objectives and a phase condenser and in good working order. American Optical phase contrast systems are also good. With a bit of patience you should be able to find a used one of those brands under 500 pounds. You might also find just a used phase kit (I've had AmScope, Fisher, etc. show up) and then fit it to a scope.

Going back a generation to Nikon and Olympus "short barrel" phase objectives and condenser is another option with decent optics, which should be cheaper yet from a reasonable seller. Apo (Phil) might weigh in on the versatile and earlier American Optical finite scopes. Lomo is another lower cost (from a sane seller) option, a bit less desirable, but surely good enough phase contrast to fully enjoy. Lomo also has affordable used water-dipping objectives.

SizeDoesn'tMatter

Re: Returning my Omax M83EZ

#3 Post by SizeDoesn'tMatter » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:09 am

PeteM Wow, how knowledgeable you are... thank you so much. Lots to think about and explore. I'm very grateful that you'd take the time to help.

Thanks again,
Michael