Please help me identify this. Yeast or fungus?

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
_plp_

Please help me identify this. Yeast or fungus?

#1 Post by _plp_ » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:10 pm

Hi,
Apologies for the photo quality. This bugs were taken from a wild fermented beer @1000x (oil has not arrived yet!)
There are some oval shaped cells floating around which I presume are brettanomices and the group on top which I also presume is brettanomices given the size of the cells.
I am not sure however about the elongated guys which were present on their own and in chains like shown in the image.

Thanks
IMG-20200112-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20200112-WA0000.jpg (99.76 KiB) Viewed 2235 times

Hobbyst46

Re: Please help me identify this. Yeast or fungus?

#2 Post by Hobbyst46 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:30 pm

_plp_ wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:10 pm
Hi,
Apologies for the photo quality. This bugs were taken from a wild fermented beer @1000x (oil has not arrived yet!)
There are some oval shaped cells floating around which I presume are brettanomices and the group on top which I also presume is brettanomices given the size of the cells.
I am not sure however about the elongated guys which were present on their own and in chains like shown in the image.
I would suspect that the chains are bacteria. However, one needs immersion oil to see the true shape of the objects and the size. It might also help to know the approximate size of the objects. For example, if the objective is 100X and the FN is 18-20 then the diameter of the field of view (what you see, which is often wider than what the camera catches) is ~200 micrometer.
This scaling factor can be ascertained by means of a stage micrometer, available from eBay for a small price (<20 USD including shipping).
Last edited by Hobbyst46 on Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wes

#3 Post by Wes » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:20 pm

The cell on the lower left side of the chain mass looks like a yeast cell that has switched to hyphal growth. Some yeast species do that for example Candida.
Zeiss Photomicroscope III BF/DF/Pol/Ph/DIC/FL/Jamin-Lebedeff
Youtube channel

apochronaut

#4 Post by apochronaut » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:56 pm

Wes has it . Additionally, the grape-like cluster at 12 o'clock are yeasts. There are some bacteria present, though. Towards about 3:15 and then again towards 4:00 are two spore bearing bacilli, undergoing division.

_plp_

#5 Post by _plp_ » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:16 am

Thanks for sharing your knowlege.

I did some research in beer forums and found a couple of photos of organisms very similar to this one.
Those organisms were suspected to be brettanomices.

Thanks for pointing out where the bacteria is, I need to sharpen my eye.
(once I spent like 5 minutes looking at the slide cover scratches wondering what those shard shapped bugs were!)

I will try to separate those yeasts from the bacteria and check if they make tasty beer.

Thanks again.