Zeiss Universal for Transmitted and Incident light microscopy

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
jb89

Zeiss Universal for Transmitted and Incident light microscopy

#1 Post by jb89 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:54 pm

Hi guys,

I've been using my Leitz SM-LUX-POL for a while and it's great for transmitted light but I just can't figure out how to get incident light set up for it and I'm starting to thing that trying to find the objectives for it will cost a fortune.

In my search I've occasionally found microscopes that look like they could do both but I am not sure.

I'm currently looking at this Zeiss Universal but I am not sure what accessories are available or necessary.
With the Zeiss Universal are reflected light objectives used without a turret/individually?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carl-Zeiss-Pho ... SwIgNXoQQL

The best scope for me would have
Approximately: 5x,10x,20x,40x,100x objectives available for transmitted or reflected light
Two lightsources or they can be swapped quickly
Quick swap between T/R
Bertrand lens
lambda/4 and lambda compensators available
Circular stage
Polarizing accessories

Can reflected light objectives be used for transmitted light without issues?

MicroBob

Re: Zeiss Universal for Transmitted and Incident light microscopy

#2 Post by MicroBob » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:09 pm

Have you had a look here: http://www.science-info.net/docs/zeiss/?

The Zeiss Universal can be used for incident light bright field, dark field and fluorescence. The needed incident light condensers are fairly common, but there are differences in the optical design that are difficult to find out.

Incident light objectives are usually designed for use without cover slip. So the stronger objectives above 10:1 are not useful for transmitted light microscopy.

Bob

jb89

#3 Post by jb89 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:57 pm

MicroBob wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:09 pm
Have you had a look here: http://www.science-info.net/docs/zeiss/?
I hadn't seen that and it seems like the reflected light attachment can use its town turret so you can swap between transmitted and reflected in how ever long it takes you to swap the turrets and condensers back in and out.

I have seen that all these attachments and lighting techniques are available for most of the higher end microscopes I guess I am just struggling with knowing for sure that if I buy something that isn't 100% ready to go what else will I need to get, will the parts be available or reasonably priced. I think either way I will need to do a lot of research.

My friends mom just retired as a materials scientists and has a nikon microscope that I don't know the model of that she may be willing to sell me at a good price, I will look into that as well.

I didn't think of the cover slip thing but that makes perfect sense.

Thanks MicroBob!

wstenberg

#4 Post by wstenberg » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:02 am

I have a Universal, and there are nosepieces for a single objective as well as turrets for many objectives.
It is very easy to switch out nosepieces and condensers when you want to change modes. Minutes or less.
It's a popular microscope, and parts come up all the time. Not hard to find most of the common pieces.

If you're interested, I have a bare stand for Universal. Just PM me.

Good luck with the project!
William
Astoria, Oregon

Zeiss Axiomat
Zeiss Stereomikroskop
Zeiss Tessovar

jb89

#5 Post by jb89 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:25 am

wstenberg wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:02 am
I have a Universal, and there are nosepieces for a single objective as well as turrets for many objectives.
It is very easy to switch out nosepieces and condensers when you want to change modes. Minutes or less.
It's a popular microscope, and parts come up all the time. Not hard to find most of the common pieces.

If you're interested, I have a bare stand for Universal. Just PM me.

Good luck with the project!
I looked in the manual and it said pretty much specifically the vertical illuminator I need is the "type III D", A quick search and I didn't see any for sale on ebay, have you seen them pop up before?

I'll send a PM!

MicroBob

#6 Post by MicroBob » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:28 am

The availability of microscopes and components depends on your local market too and at which price you could get things shipped to you. This varies from coutry to country. The Zeiss Universal is a very good microscope and many stands and components were made. So generally the availability is good.

For incident light microscopy you should try do determine what you want to do with it. Incident bright field gives hazy images of low contrast. This improves a lot when polarizers are added. Dark field would give the best image of biological subjects. DIC is used to identify surface irregularities, quite a special technique. The III D condenser is intended only for bright field, isn't it?
The III RS fluorescence condensers turn up frequently and can be equipped for incident brightfield, pol and fluorescence. The usability for transmitted light is probably limited as the stage has to be lowered quite a bit - I haven't tried this.
Zeiss Photomicroscopes are often cheaper than Universals but the components for incident lighting are much less frequent.

Many objects can be viewed in incident lighting without proper equipment. The enclosed image was a quickly taken stack (camera on autofire) with an objective of 6,3:1 or 10:1 magnification and the desk lamp as light source.

Bob
Attachments
Radiolarien 1 fertig geputzt 1024.jpg
Radiolarien 1 fertig geputzt 1024.jpg (150.51 KiB) Viewed 3965 times

Hobbyst46

#7 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:32 am

Hi Bob
What a superb display!

MicroBob

#8 Post by MicroBob » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:42 pm

Hi Doron,
it is my favourite micro photo so far, and not the result of well planned work but very improvised. I had to meet a deadline for the advertising for a group meeting where I was responsible for the practical part. This is just great radiolaria material in a petri dish on a piece of inner tube from a wheelbarrow. :D The stack of image was taken in one go with the camera on auto fire. And the microscope setup was nothing more then anybody has on his table (it probably was a Leitz NPL Fluotar, but this won't have made much difference). This could be an interesting method to make diatom material images too. But here a high power Epi setup is needed.

Bob

jb89

#9 Post by jb89 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:24 am

MicroBob wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:28 am
For incident light microscopy you should try do determine what you want to do with it. Incident bright field gives hazy images of low contrast. This improves a lot when polarizers are added. Dark field would give the best image of biological subjects. DIC is used to identify surface irregularities, quite a special technique. The III D condenser is intended only for bright field, isn't it?
For incident light I will be looking at polished sections of rock without cover slips (brightfield)
For transmitted light I will be looking at thin sections of rock with cover slips(brightfield)
I will need polarizers and a rotating stage for the transmitted light work but having it available for both may be useful.

I am starting my class for Igneous and Metamorphic Petrology this week so hopefully I have a better idea of what I'll need from the microscope soon.

I do like looking at biological specimens but it's not the priority by any means

That image is amazing!