New to hobby and have some questions

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
Jaguar2010

New to hobby and have some questions

#1 Post by Jaguar2010 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:40 pm

Hope I am in the correct area to ask these questions! I have just purchased an Olympus CX31 RBSFA (not new but in as new condition) binocular microscope and would like to be able to use for Dark field viewing and would also like to use my Canon EOS 450D camera with the microscope. I am very pleased with the microscope, images being excellent.
I have spent many hours on the net trying to find information on both issues with no clear solutions. There is no tray below the condenser to fit a filter so is there any other Dark field option? Clearly I am a novice and do not want to spend a fortune but would like to like to find the most effective solutions.
Again I hope I am in the correct area of the forum to ask beginners questions.

BramHuntingNematodes

Re: New to hobby and have some questions

#2 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:44 pm

The other darkfield option is generally a paraboloid or cardioid condenser. Is the cx31 abbe condenser permanently fixed?
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

rnabholz

#3 Post by rnabholz » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:38 pm

There should be some way to position a mask for darkfield, but you may need to get creative.

Here is the approach I took for one of my scopes. Maybe it will inspire you.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3606

Good luck

Saul

#4 Post by Saul » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:22 pm

Jaguar2010

#5 Post by Jaguar2010 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:48 pm

Thank you all for your response to my question regarding Dark field use. The Microscope has a fixed Abbe condenser (Abbe condenser, with built-in daylight filter) As I am sure you have guessed I am a complete novice and have much to learn. So any help and advise will be much appreciated.

N6GQ

#6 Post by N6GQ » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:28 pm

I'm also interested in using a DSLR with a microscope...its common in astronomy to start with a DSLR, so I'm wondering if the same is true here. Sorry, just learning :)

apochronaut

#7 Post by apochronaut » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:38 pm

Nothing wrong with fitting a DSLR, if you know how to do it but DSLRs are kind of a hybrid camera, with one of the grandfathered designs within the concept being totally unsuited to taking photos through a microscope. The mirror and reflex mechanism. It's there because as photographers transferred over from using film cameras, it was still desirable to view through the lens but in the case of a microscope camera, you don't do that. Having an articulating screen or being able to link to a remote screen or phone is much more convenient, unless you have a fetish for climbing stepladders, so as time marches on, especially on March 4th, mirrorless cameras will take over for microscopes. They are also lighter, with lower vibration, so are more practical for not particularly rigid set ups.........I do understand that people become attached to the camera that they have, though, or plain do not want to fork out dough for a new camera.