Newbie with basic questions

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
durnis

Newbie with basic questions

#1 Post by durnis » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:39 am

Having just bought my first microscope from ebay, I have a question regarding objectives.
It's a Leitz Ortholux I and the highest powered objective on it is 25x.
I would like to add a higher magnification to it, so, since I cannot find any dry Leitz objectives of 60x or thereabouts, I'm looking at other makes.
Am I correct in assuming that any objective for 170 or 160 tube length and RMS thread would fit and work just fine?
Any suggestions on a good ~60x dry objective?
I don't really want to mess with oil
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg (71.19 KiB) Viewed 3801 times
Another question I have is about camera attachment. I have a Sony A7ii with adapters for nikon f mount, leica m mount and ltm->M mount.
What would be the best way to attach the camera to this particular microscope?
Can anyone suggest exactly what I need to buy to convert from the trinocular large diameter ortholux tube to one of the camera mounts I have available?

Thanks in advance!

deBult

Re: Newbie with basic questions

#2 Post by deBult » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:55 am

Nice scope.

Ocular plus objective together are a matched optical correction system: so you have to stick with Leitz AND stay in the same time period.

You can use 160 mm Leitz objectives on a 170 mm stand (note only 20* or higher).
Details in a Leitz note on the subject:

https://www.ronaldschulte.nl/files/Leitz-160mm-Memo.pdf.

Best, deBult

Larry060

#3 Post by Larry060 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:07 pm

I have no answers for you since I'm looking to buy a microscope but that looks really nice.

durnis

#4 Post by durnis » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:49 pm

Thank you for the clarification, I guess I'll be sticking with leitz 40x and 100x oil

After some digging around in the old catalogues, it seems that the original method of attaching the camera will work (MIKAS attachment), since my sony is mirrorless, it can easily be adapted to leica m mount and there is no need for a contemporary solution. I found one on ebay and went for it, hopefully it will work out :)

deBult

#5 Post by deBult » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:58 pm

Hi,

When you are into fungi, pollen and or bacteria a 100* is useful. My most used objective is the 20* by far.

Best, deBult