Discovery of Microorganisms + Advice on Research Microscope

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
Leitzcycler

Re: Discovery of Microorganisms + Advice on Research Microscope

#31 Post by Leitzcycler » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:12 am

I think it is similar to this one as seen in this listing (although for different model I think, might stil be the same) https://www.ebay.com/itm/Olympus-BHS-LH ... Sw9IReUow9

Filters are used for many purposes e.g. blue filters for film photography, grey filters for reducing light intensity, polarisation filters for polarisation microscopy... However, I think you may also set a filter of smaller diameter on the light path under condenser here (look at the picture). I think you may not need any filters in the beginning. You may watch regularly Ebay for filter holder if you want you scope to be a perfect one, construct a filter holder by yourself of ask someone to make it. This is by no means any problem with that scope.
Attachments
filter place.jpg
filter place.jpg (34.38 KiB) Viewed 4537 times

Tom Jones

#32 Post by Tom Jones » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:10 pm

Filters can just drop in on top of the light port. No extra holder is necessary. The little filter holder that goes in the front of the lamp house holds the same size filters. I prefer dropping them in on the light port on the occasions where I use one not included in a condenser.

If you feel like seeing one of the BHS (or BHT/BHTU or even a BX-40 for that matter) scopes before you buy, since you're in SoCal, come on out to Redlands and I'll show you on mine.

Since you're new to this, a little hands-on experience will help you get up to speed much faster than just reading about it. On top of showing you the microscope, I'll show you how to set it up, adjust it for Koehler illumination, how to attach and set up a camera, the effects of camera sensor size and projection lens magnification, how to use - or not bother with - the filter holder, how to clean the microscope and lenses, and how to change and align the bulb. I'll even show you how to use oil immersion lenses, and the difference between DPlans, SPlans and SplanApo objectives. Even DIC, for when you're feeling wealthy. Pretty much everything you need to learn to start using your scope I can easily show you in a couple of hours. After that, it's just practice! :D

Antartica

#33 Post by Antartica » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:33 am

Just wanted to follow up on some questions I had regarding DIC. I've read the online brochure for the BHS from alan wood's site, but can't find much info on DIC. Can anyone provide me with a detailed parts list of all the equipment I would need for DIC on my BHS? Maybe some links to ebay auctions so I can visually see the parts, and know what to look out for.

And related to that, do Splan Apos work well with DIC? DIC is meant for Splan I thought, but if the Splan Apos work nicely, shouldn't I invest in those since they'll help with brightfield also.

thanks

Antartica

#34 Post by Antartica » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:27 pm

Anyone can help with the above question? Thanks.