HELP!! Looking for a new microscope!

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
shirleey22

HELP!! Looking for a new microscope!

#1 Post by shirleey22 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:32 pm

Hello! I need advice on purchasing a new microscope. I want to go brand new and my budget right now is low ($200-$250) so i’m fair looking at these chinese microscopes like Omax and Swift. I had a Swift SW350B but had to return it due to some “flaws” that I could have fixed myself but I was afraid to mess something up, so I chose the safe path of returning it.

I’m thinking about these:
Swift SW380B (currently out of stock but I want advice if I should wait for the new stock) (also these are the same but all the offers and different prices for the same product is kinda tricky)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/283771455391
https://www.ebay.com/itm/283259503882

And this Omax
https://www.ebay.com/itm/401657503001

I personally asked Oliver/Microbehunter and he told me to get the Swift because it has better optics. A close friend of mine has the Omax and seems good but i really don’t know. My Swift truly had good optics but i don’t know about the Omax, too. Only using it as a hobby.

thank you in advance!

daruosha

Re: HELP!! Looking for a new microscope!

#2 Post by daruosha » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:29 pm

shirleey22 wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:32 pm
I had a Swift SW350B but had to return it due to some “flaws” that I could have fixed myself but I was afraid to mess something up, so I chose the safe path of returning it.
HI shirleey22, what was wrong with your old microscope?
Daruosh.

shirleey22

#3 Post by shirleey22 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:53 pm

daruosha wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:29 pm
shirleey22 wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:32 pm
I had a Swift SW350B but had to return it due to some “flaws” that I could have fixed myself but I was afraid to mess something up, so I chose the safe path of returning it.
HI shirleey22, what was wrong with your old microscope?
4X objective had a visible “crescent moon” shadow and 40x objective was dirty. I tried everything from cleaning to moving, unscrewing the 4x, etc and nothing improved so i returned it and got the refund...

apochronaut

#4 Post by apochronaut » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:11 pm

You sound like you did not get turned off by your original failed purchase, so you may be fairly keen for this sport. You will no doubt want to take pictures? If true, spend a few extra bucks and get a trinocular head. This one even comes with a camera but it won't be a great one. You can upgrade if desired in the future. The trinocular and camera are a lot of hardware for 57 bucks.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SWIFT-40X-2500 ... 3493214939

As far as the optics go, there won't be any difference between the OMAX and the Swift. Swift is a venerable old name from England but the trademark was sold to the Japanese and subsequently they are made in China. They use the same average grade optics as any of the non-plan school grade Chinese brands.

Also, don't be fooled into believing that anything over 1000X will be useful on any of those microscopes. The 25X eyepieces are being thrown in like a carrot on a stick to a Donkey. See if you can talk them into supplying , I think it is 16X they would use. 15X would be slightly better.....or swap the 25X eyepieces for a 20X objective. Sales are down. They might go for it.

shirleey22

#5 Post by shirleey22 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:36 am

apochronaut wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:11 pm
You sound like you did not get turned off by your original failed purchase, so you may be fairly keen for this sport. You will no doubt want to take pictures? If true, spend a few extra bucks and get a trinocular head. This one even comes with a camera but it won't be a great one. You can upgrade if desired in the future. The trinocular and camera are a lot of hardware for 57 bucks.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SWIFT-40X-2500 ... 3493214939

As far as the optics go, there won't be any difference between the OMAX and the Swift. Swift is a venerable old name from England but the trademark was sold to the Japanese and subsequently they are made in China. They use the same average grade optics as any of the non-plan school grade Chinese brands.

Also, don't be fooled into believing that anything over 1000X will be useful on any of those microscopes. The 25X eyepieces are being thrown in like a carrot on a stick to a Donkey. See if you can talk them into supplying , I think it is 16X they would use. 15X would be slightly better.....or swap the 25X eyepieces for a 20X objective. Sales are down. They might go for it.
Thank you very much, I’m majoring in Biology and Microbiology, I have some knowledge on microscopes, that is why I’m very interested on getting a starter microscope but a sturdy one.

I saw that very exact trinocular model, but it is sold out. I have a phone adapter and my phone is more than enough for me.

About Swift, I’ve tried to look for information about all that company stuff. Also, i see SW380B has like, black objectives and Omax has silver ones, is there a difference or it’s just appearance and modern look? I was thinking on doing those changes of the eyepieces and everything because it is true about the empty magnification.

The reason why i’m doubtful and deciding between these two it’s because my friend that has Omax showed me some pictures and they dont look very good for my taste comparing to the Swift I had. And since Omax is a bit, old(?), has like ten years in the market(?) and Swift is more recent and new(?). If i’m wrong please correct me.

Thank you!

apochronaut

#6 Post by apochronaut » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:57 am

Wasn't sold out when I viewed it. Probably there are a horde of people thinking they will be able to monitor the presence of Sars 2 on their digits.....if they have any left after they have scrubbed them to the bone.

I would hold out for the trinoc. if you insist on new. It will come back in stock. Personally thinking, if you want sturdy, new is a bad idea. Even though 220.00 seems like a great deal on a new 4 objective scope and it is; it will likely lack the sturdiness you covet.

Chinese optics in the 160mm tube length category are static. You can find the same objectives on microscopes in catalogues from 1990, that are on Chinese scopes today, and in 1990, they were poorer than optics made by brand name companies, so they are not up to snuff. Contrast is mediocre and the centering of the objectives can be terrible, like a toy. They change the shrouds some on the objectives but if you look around at the myriads of almost identical models , they are pretty much all the same. The industry in China is state owned , modular and efficient. A few factories make objectives, a few make stages, a few do castings, a few make electronics and many do assembly. They may have come along a little with the infinity optical systems but anything by an identifiable manufacturer made from 1985 on will provide better optics and better mechanical precision and stability.
All the same, it is pretty hard to beat a 220.00 microscope. How important is a relatively wide field of view to you? like 18mm as the low cost China scopes have, or would a microscope with a narrower field of view but stellar resolution....more in the vein of a research microscope be of interest. The reason I ask is that an older research scope with a narrower field but with resolution about double that of a cheap Chinese scope can be had for about the same price as a cheap Chinese scope. Sturdy too.

shirleey22

#7 Post by shirleey22 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:41 am

apochronaut wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:57 am
Wasn't sold out when I viewed it. Probably there are a horde of people thinking they will be able to monitor the presence of Sars 2 on their digits.....if they have any left after they have scrubbed them to the bone.

I would hold out for the trinoc. if you insist on new. It will come back in stock. Personally thinking, if you want sturdy, new is a bad idea. Even though 220.00 seems like a great deal on a new 4 objective scope and it is; it will likely lack the sturdiness you covet.

Chinese optics in the 160mm tube length category are static. You can find the same objectives on microscopes in catalogues from 1990, that are on Chinese scopes today, and in 1990, they were poorer than optics made by brand name companies, so they are not up to snuff. Contrast is mediocre and the centering of the objectives can be terrible, like a toy. They change the shrouds some on the objectives but if you look around at the myriads of almost identical models , they are pretty much all the same. The industry in China is state owned , modular and efficient. A few factories make objectives, a few make stages, a few do castings, a few make electronics and many do assembly. They may have come along a little with the infinity optical systems but anything by an identifiable manufacturer made from 1985 on will provide better optics and better mechanical precision and stability.
All the same, it is pretty hard to beat a 220.00 microscope. How important is a relatively wide field of view to you? like 18mm as the low cost China scopes have, or would a microscope with a narrower field of view but stellar resolution....more in the vein of a research microscope be of interest. The reason I ask is that an older research scope with a narrower field but with resolution about double that of a cheap Chinese scope can be had for about the same price as a cheap Chinese scope. Sturdy too.
wow that’s a lot I didn’t know! thank you!
and good question...what microscope would you recommend me?

apochronaut

#8 Post by apochronaut » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:06 pm

I'm not recommending one specifically. It is just a question about how attached you are to the design of the modern microscope. Ergonomics are a major player in microscope design now; a big selling point but if you don't mind an older design with much better functionality in terms of the substage performance and optical performance, then you can get a lot more for your 220.00 than a student grade scope with basic achromatic optics and a limited best before date. I'm not so sure modern scopes are that much more ergonomic, anyway; they just look like they are. You get used to the functionality of the scope you are using. It then becomes ergonomic to you and if one switches to a modern body with a sweeping curved arm and T frame, that design seems cumbersome. You are a biology student. This is a potential profession. I am assuming you are on a limited budget. A 220.00 Chinese microscope, while still a good deal for what you are getting, will only take you so far and then you will be looking to upgrade , likely.

shirleey22

#9 Post by shirleey22 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:36 pm

apochronaut wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:06 pm
I'm not recommending one specifically. It is just a question about how attached you are to the design of the modern microscope. Ergonomics are a major player in microscope design now; a big selling point but if you don't mind an older design with much better functionality in terms of the substage performance and optical performance, then you can get a lot more for your 220.00 than a student grade scope with basic achromatic optics and a limited best before date. I'm not so sure modern scopes are that much more ergonomic, anyway; they just look like they are. You get used to the functionality of the scope you are using. It then becomes ergonomic to you and if one switches to a modern body with a sweeping curved arm and T frame, that design seems cumbersome. You are a biology student. This is a potential profession. I am assuming you are on a limited budget. A 220.00 Chinese microscope, while still a good deal for what you are getting, will only take you so far and then you will be looking to upgrade , likely.
I mean, you’re totally right. Here i learned things they didn’t teach me at school, thank you. I’m going to start with these cheap ones and yes, i ASSURE you i will want to upgrade. Unless, let’s see if i find a good used one like those prestige ones. At college we use Nikon E100, and I love it. We’ll see..

Thank you Apo, have a blessed day!!

Hobbyst46

#10 Post by Hobbyst46 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:57 pm

If one is ready to take a risk, this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Optiphot ... SwdOxdtyZJ
The international shipping fare is ridiculous and the scope is not tested, and no returns, but there is a "Make Offer"

Much less risk, though more expensive (possibly) and still "Make Offer"
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Labophot ... Sw33Feg6g4

And further options (all with "Make Offer")
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Labophot ... SwBLlVIqhN

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Labophot ... SwYNpef2VC

This one I doubt since there is seemingly only one unknown objective
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Labophot ... Swq-JeXTWS

Just thinking Nikon and assuming the buyer is in North America.
There are actually several others, but they lack objectives so ignored.

Olympus BH-2 - this one is coupled with Zeiss objectives, weird, but still "Make Offer"
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Olympus-BH-2-B ... SwsvZc9XX5

Incidentally, I personally would prefer a trinocular, but since photography is not as important in this case, I collected binoculars...
Last edited by Hobbyst46 on Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shirleey22

#11 Post by shirleey22 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:30 pm

Hobbyst46 wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:57 pm
If one is ready to take a risk, this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Optiphot ... SwdOxdtyZJ
The international shipping fare is ridiculous and the scope is not tested, and no returns, but there is a "Make Offer"

Much less risk, though more expensive (possibly) and still "Make Offer"
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Labophot ... Sw33Feg6g4

And further options (all with "Make Offer")
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Labophot ... SwBLlVIqhN

This one I doubt since there is seemingly only one unknown objective
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Labophot ... Swq-JeXTWS

Just thinking Nikon and assuming the buyer is in North America.
There are actually several others, but they lack objectives so ignored.

Olympus BH-2 - this one is coupled with Zeiss objectives, weird, but still "Make Offer"
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Olympus-BH-2-B ... SwsvZc9XX5
Will check them out! thank you Hobbyst! :D

Hobbyst46

#12 Post by Hobbyst46 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:39 pm

Most welcome. Please note that many used microscopes have flaws, and if these are mechanical, repair might be a challenge. That is a risk we take when buying used.
You may also want to post a message in the Selling and Buying section of this forum; buying a used microscope that has been tested by a forum member is a very good option.
There are other worthy microscope models besides those mentioned,
and, being a biology student, perhaps an INVERTED microscope would even better suit your wishes...

shirleey22

#13 Post by shirleey22 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:24 pm

Hobbyst46 wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:39 pm
Most welcome. Please note that many used microscopes have flaws, and if these are mechanical, repair might be a challenge. That is a risk we take when buying used.
You may also want to post a message in the Selling and Buying section of this forum; buying a used microscope that has been tested by a forum member is a very good option.
There are other worthy microscope models besides those mentioned,
and, being a biology student, perhaps an INVERTED microscope would even better suit your wishes...
Thank you for that great advice! I’m studying Microbiology too, i’m doing two bachelors. when i graduate, i plan on continuing to work in the field of Micro.

apochronaut

#14 Post by apochronaut » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:47 pm

How far are you from Arecibo?

shirleey22

#15 Post by shirleey22 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:12 pm

apochronaut wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:47 pm
How far are you from Arecibo?
Humacao, far east
you’re from PR?

apochronaut

#16 Post by apochronaut » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:03 pm

No, Canada but there has been a microscope on ebay for some time , being sold by a surplus dealer in Arecibo. I looked at it to buy myself a couple of times but the shipping would be outrageous for me , plus the exchange rate for CAD$ is terrible. The scope looks to be complete , only missing one lowest power objective out of 6. They are planachros.
It has the fancy 3 position trinocular head that are not that common( expensive, that's why) and a micrometer xy slide trsnsport that is both manual and motorized
It is about 25 years old and as fitted out probably hovered around 10,000 , in 1995. It is infinity corrected and there are a fair number of accessories out there for it. You could do high resolution dark field and phase for sure. It is somewhat over 400.00 but will sell for 4 likely: maybe even less.

The key is that the listing states explicitly that the microscope has some cosmetic imperfections but is fully functional and works as intended. It is not being sold as an as is sale, like many microscopes on ebay are. That means that if there is anything wrong with the instrument at all, you can expect a partial refund ( if one objective doesn't work or something like that) or an outright total refund, including return shipping, if it has a bigger problem that wasn't disclosed. That is how ebay now works. If you wish to return the microscope due to a major defect and the seller refuses to pay the return shipping, ebay will refund you from the sellers paypal account and leave you with the microscope.

I will p.m. you with the link and some further details.

shirleey22

#17 Post by shirleey22 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:24 am

apochronaut wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:03 pm
No, Canada but there has been a microscope on ebay for some time , being sold by a surplus dealer in Arecibo. I looked at it to buy myself a couple of times but the shipping would be outrageous for me , plus the exchange rate for CAD$ is terrible. The scope looks to be complete , only missing one lowest power objective out of 6. They are planachros.
It has the fancy 3 position trinocular head that are not that common( expensive, that's why) and a micrometer xy slide trsnsport that is both manual and motorized
It is about 25 years old and as fitted out probably hovered around 10,000 , in 1995. It is infinity corrected and there are a fair number of accessories out there for it. You could do high resolution dark field and phase for sure. It is somewhat over 400.00 but will sell for 4 likely: maybe even less.

The key is that the listing states explicitly that the microscope has some cosmetic imperfections but is fully functional and works as intended. It is not being sold as an as is sale, like many microscopes on ebay are. That means that if there is anything wrong with the instrument at all, you can expect a partial refund ( if one objective doesn't work or something like that) or an outright total refund, including return shipping, if it has a bigger problem that wasn't disclosed. That is how ebay now works. If you wish to return the microscope due to a major defect and the seller refuses to pay the return shipping, ebay will refund you from the sellers paypal account and leave you with the microscope.

I will p.m. you with the link and some further details.
WOW thank you so MUCH!

apochronaut

#18 Post by apochronaut » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:16 pm

I sent you some info but forgot to send the link. The second p.m. has the link. The third p.m. has more info. I think you picked up the first and third but the second one, the one that has the link is still in my outbox.