Advice on Olympus BH2 with missing components

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
alexg

Advice on Olympus BH2 with missing components

#1 Post by alexg » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:26 pm

Hello all, I am shopping for my first ever microscope! After doing sporadic research for a week or so, I've decided that I would be happier with a used microscope than a new Amscope or Omax (as those seem to be the only new microscopes in my >$500 budget). I'm not sure exactly what I will be interested in viewing, but as an aquarium keeper, I know I will want to observe all the microscopic critters in my tanks (paramecium etc.) as well as the larger organisms like copepods. That will be a jumping off point for me, but I know I will want to observe much more eventually! Something with the possibility of darkfield down the road would be nice to broaden my options. Ideally I would like a trinocular head as well because I'm interested in photography. It would be nice to be able to hook up my full frame Canon EOS camera eventually.

I know I have listed a lot of features for a $500 budget, but I think I found a scope that would be suitable. I wanted to see if anyone here had thoughts on it before I pull the trigger.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Olympus-BH2-Mi ... 2946383007

From what I can tell from the pictures, the microscope is missing an eyepiece and a specimen clip, but I could buy those from these sellers:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/One-Olympus-WK ... SwsbheNz1B

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OLYMPUS-BH-2-M ... XQAx9RQTcn

It also only has 4x, 10x, and 40x objectives, but I think that would be sufficient for me. Do you see anything else that is missing? And does this seem like a good beginner microscope? I have no experience in this field, but I have serviced other types of machines so I'm happy to do a little work on it if it's something a beginner can do.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

--Alex

deBult

Re: Advice on Olympus BH2 with missing components

#2 Post by deBult » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:02 pm

Building a BH2 from eBay components usually turns out costly as often it needs repair, cleaning, lubrication etc. (as per my own experience).

If you live in the US May I suggest you contact Carl Hunsiger, He has written and published detailed guides on BH2 repair. His hobby is repairing BH2 scopes. He often has overhauled scopes for decent prices. A Tri ocular will not fit in your budget though.

Carl’s email send via PM

deBult

alexg

#3 Post by alexg » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:15 pm

Hi deBult, thanks for the reply! You confirmed what I was concerned about. Thanks for providing me with Carl's email. I will reach out to him to see if he has any scopes available.

--Alex

deBult

#4 Post by deBult » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:34 pm

Carl’s detailed BH2 repair guides make servicing very doable if you have some fine mechanic repair experience.

The guides are hosted on the Excellent Alan Wood Olympus site.

And yes the BH2 is an excellent (research) scope, a bit overkill for an absolute beginner, but not complicated, all the options to extend in a later stage (DIC is expensive and rare).

Hobbyst46

#5 Post by Hobbyst46 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:37 pm

Alexg,
The eBay microscope shown in the link is not the top model of the BH-2 series, but in general, BH-2 are very good, not just for beginners.
And it IS trinocular, although under $500.
BH-2 are system microscopes and can be expanded to include phase contrast, for example.
The DPlan objectives are less impressive than the Splans, but are excellent objectives. Have used them both.
This is not a recommendation for that specific microscope in the link, just my small comment.

PeteM

#6 Post by PeteM » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:24 pm

Alex, That looks to be a decent microscope at a fair price, given that shipping is included.

One especially nice thing is that it has a 1.4na Aplanat condenser - itself worth $250+ Just those alone have SOLD for $300 or more.

The missing parts, few as they are (one eyepiece, a 100x objective, a stage clip) might easily add $160+ if bought separately, though. Could well be that one of us would swap all the missing pieces and a regular condenser for that one.

Hobbyst46

#7 Post by Hobbyst46 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:45 pm

Alex, PeteM's response above made me take another look. That BHTU scope has a 3.3X NFK photo eyepiece in the phototube. Valuable !

alexg

#8 Post by alexg » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:36 pm

Thank you all for your responses! I reached out to Carl per deBult's advice and he got back to me right away. Now I need to decide if I want to buy a serviced scope from him or take a shot at servicing this one on eBay myself. Honestly it sounds like a very fun project, but I want to make sure I don't get in over my head. Carl seems like a very knowledgeable and nice guy and gave me a few tips in case I decide to go the DIY way. If I do, I might skip the 100x objective for now and upgrade down the line when I want more magnification. I might even do a 60x dry objective instead of a 100x, if that's an option. Thanks again for all the input!

PeteM

#9 Post by PeteM » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:04 pm

Alex,

Carl is a terrific (competent, great, trustworthy) guy in my experience. Glad you could connect.

Two additional thoughts. The Ebay seller of that scope is selling the 100x DPlan separately. You might make a combined offer.

Second, I've tried lots of 60x dry objectives and only found one that could give a good 100x oil immersion objective a run for the money. If you need the higher magnification, the slight complication of oil immersion is usually worth the effort.

chuckp

#10 Post by chuckp » Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:48 pm

I tried to PM deBult for Carl's email as I am also interested in a serviced BH-2 scope, but my account is too new. Only thing I was able to find online was carlh6902@***.org

I started with the OMAX/AMscope and after reading here have focused more on the BH-2 or Nikon Labophot 2. It seems like Carl really knows his stuff on both servicing and shipping the scopes properly.

deBult

#11 Post by deBult » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:52 pm

The scope on eBay does have a modification to the lamp: pictures are not clear enough, so if interested be sure to inquire on the modification.

deBult

#12 Post by deBult » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:55 pm

chuckp wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:48 pm
Only thing I was able to find online was carlh6902@***.org
You are on the right track.