Reliable Dealers

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
JGardner

Reliable Dealers

#1 Post by JGardner » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:07 pm

Anyone have a list of microscope dealers known to be reliable? I've heard a few names, such as Brunel, Microscope Central, and Munday Scientific mentioned on these forums, but have no idea if any of these are reliable or if there are others that are.

For example, when a dealer advertises a used microscope and includes "This microscope has been serviced by an Authorized Olympus service technician" in the ad, what does this mean? Do they look at the microscope and say "yep, that's an Olympus", or do they dismantle the microscope, replace all the old lube, and replace any worn or broken parts, or perhaps something between these two extremes?

MichaelG.

Re: Reliable Dealers

#2 Post by MichaelG. » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:43 pm

Brunel has an excellent reputation ... but do bear in mind that they are UK based
http://www.brunelmicroscopes.co.uk/
http://www.usedmicroscopes.co.uk/

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

PeteM

#3 Post by PeteM » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:07 am

Brunel seems to be most of what you'd want a dealer to be. Generally reliable, fairly priced, and willing to stand behind their products if there is a problem. As others have noted, it is in the UK and shipping is recently becoming a problem to the US - perhaps because of fewer flights. I've bought one item from them, a DIC condenser, and the item was as described. My impression (others would know more) is that they cater to hobbyists.

Munday strikes me as much the same (reliable, fairly priced, trustworthy). I've bought a few items and they were always as described. Munday seems to be a professional supplier, but has been gracious in my dealings.

Recognize that dealers have to make a living at this. Items thrown on to Ebay will have a range of prices and outcomes -- that's where both the bargains and disappointments will be.

Microscope Central strikes me as attempting to do volume sales of both new and used microscopes. The components seem to ask "request quote" and their prices on complete scopes have always been too high for me to justify buying anything from them. Perhaps someone here has actual buying experience and can comment.

Wes

#4 Post by Wes » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:53 am

Thilo Immel Optics at Göttingen is a realiable dealership. A bit more expensive but they know what they are doing and you are in good hands with Thilo Immel.
Zeiss Photomicroscope III BF/DF/Pol/Ph/DIC/FL/Jamin-Lebedeff
Youtube channel

jfiresto

#5 Post by jfiresto » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:17 am

Wes wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:53 am
Thilo Immel Optics at Göttingen is a reliable dealership. A bit more expensive but they know what they are doing and you are in good hands with Thilo Immel.
I quite agree. They will take care of you.
-John