Newbie Question

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
RodgerC

Newbie Question

#1 Post by RodgerC » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:40 pm

I've just recently (in the last month) got to using microscopes. I have an trinocular Olympus BH 2 BHTU that I got on EBay and am very happy with it. I also have an AmScope SM-1TZ Professional Trinocular Stereo Zoom Microscope also. I have been enjoying taking photos thru both microscopes. I realize I have a lot to learn, but my question is I see so many beautiful photos that are pristine. Perfect focus and also perfect backgrounds. How are photo's of microbes taken with a perfectly clear background? I'm sure their equipment isn't cheap either. I'm using a Panasonic Lumix G7 with a 0.5x lens and I'm finding it very hard to focus in order to get a good photo. I also have a Hayear digital camera and software that is a little easier to use. I have tried stacking with some success but it's a little difficult just starting out. Anyone have any advice for a novice just getting started? Thanks, Rodger

JGardner

Re: Newbie Question

#2 Post by JGardner » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:55 pm

Hi Rodger,

You achieve depth of focus using stacking, as you already know. It's not difficult to do, but it takes time and practice to get it right.

As for perfect backgrounds, I suspect that this is achieved with judicious use of the Photoshop cloning tools to clean up messy backgrounds.

RodgerC

Re: Newbie Question

#3 Post by RodgerC » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:57 pm

JGardner wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:55 pm
Hi Rodger,

You achieve depth of focus using stacking, as you already know. It's not difficult to do, but it takes time and practice to get it right.

As for perfect backgrounds, I suspect that this is achieved with judicious use of the Photoshop cloning tools to clean up messy backgrounds.
Guess I need to brush up on my photoshop skills. Thanks.