Compatibility between PH objectives and condenser

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
Mindwarp

Compatibility between PH objectives and condenser

#1 Post by Mindwarp » Thu May 14, 2020 6:24 pm

Hello Gang,

I recently bought 2 Phase Contraste objectives Olympus FL PL x40 and x100 (tube 160) to update my Labophot II.
I’m waiting to receive them shortly.
In the same time, I’m searching an Olympus Phase condenser and found one : CX-PCD but it is for Infinity objectives !

My question : will this PH condenser for Infinity objectives will be compatible and usefull with my PH objectives in 160 ?
Thanks for your suggestions 😉

75RR

Re: Compatibility between PH objectives and condenser

#2 Post by 75RR » Thu May 14, 2020 9:53 pm

It is a good rule of thumb to keep to objectives of the same manufacturer as that of your stand.

There are two main reasons for this. Firstly, in finite systems, the eyepieces form part of the lens correction.

This means that the objective and the eyepieces should be considered as one.

In practice, if you borrow an objective from another manufacturer then you should also borrow the eyepieces that were designed to go with them.

The second reason to keep to the same manufacturer (this is especially true in modular systems) is that not only will they have the part you need but it will also be compatible.

By compatible, I mean both optically and mechanically.

If you have decided to go with Olympus objectives then perhaps you should also consider going with an Olympus stand.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Scarodactyl

#3 Post by Scarodactyl » Thu May 14, 2020 10:00 pm

They are all olympus components, but from different series (bh2 finite to bx infinity). Question is if they messed with phase rings in that shift.

apochronaut

#4 Post by apochronaut » Fri May 15, 2020 1:47 am

If you are pretty boring and looking for predictable results then you have to stick to known functions between components. There is a lot of scope out there for some more radical designs though, so only through experiments will solutions be found.
Some microscope companies retained their phase components as systems but others as they evolved objective designs moved the systems forward. Diaphragm/annulus experiments were made to be performed.

PeteM

#5 Post by PeteM » Fri May 15, 2020 3:48 am

Mindwarp - I suspect what you might have bought are older Olympus "short barrel" phase objectives; judging by the "FL" to go with the "PL" (Positive Low). If so, not really what you want for your Nikon scope and phase condenser or those other Olympus condensers, eyepieces, etc.

Mindwarp

#6 Post by Mindwarp » Fri May 15, 2020 10:09 pm

Thanks to you all for these advice and information. It is going to help me a lot. 👍🏻😉