Ring Lighting

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
microbob3

Ring Lighting

#1 Post by microbob3 » Fri May 15, 2020 12:22 pm

Are ring lights a good addition to a Stereo Microscope. Seems those and side lighting would be great for imaging. Thanks

mrsonchus

Re: Ring Lighting

#2 Post by mrsonchus » Fri May 15, 2020 6:08 pm

Hi, I certainly find a cheap LED ringlight very useful indeed on my stereo. I also use fiber-optic gooseneck (Schott) lamps for extra illumination from all angles. Over time I find that the ringlight has become almost exclusively my 'goto' incident light source for the stereo - the hassle of adjusting the fiber-optics gets a little tedious after a while. The ringlight - just switch it on - I hardly ever even need to adjust the level - always seems excellent used at it's max....

The LED ringlights are cheap and very good in my experience.
John B

Scarodactyl

#3 Post by Scarodactyl » Fri May 15, 2020 6:17 pm

For general-purpose lighting they are hard to beat, though they can give some subjects a flat look. For photography I only use one on a few things, and still mostly use halogen gooseneck lighting for the rest.
LED ring lights are affordable. If you're in the US I can cut you a great deal on one, I won an auction for a big box of them on eBay a while back and now I have too many.

microbob3

#4 Post by microbob3 » Sat May 16, 2020 12:27 pm

Thanks all for your help. I will add one soon. Amscope makes one just for my scope and its price is not bad. Thanks for the offer but I just get it off Amazon. I get free shipping.

Scarodactyl

#5 Post by Scarodactyl » Sat May 16, 2020 4:17 pm

That makes sense and I totally understand--I just have a ton of them in my closet and I'd like the space back :)