Adding darkfield to Leitz SM-LUX

Do you have any microscopy questions, which you are afraid to ask? This is your place.
Katie2020

Adding darkfield to Leitz SM-LUX

#1 Post by Katie2020 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:52 pm

Just got a Leitz SM-LUX, really chuffed with it even if i barely know what I'm doing. Ive tried to read threads about darkfield on here but its gone over my head. And i do have to manual, but god its not easy to read, my adhd brain can't focus for long enough to understand it.

Is the little twisty camera shutter looking thing on the light a darkfield thingy? It makes the image down the microscope darker.
If not, because i doubt it is, what exactly do i need to add to it to get darkfield? When i google leitz darkfield i see about twenty million different 'darkfield condesers'.

Side question, does anyone have camera recommendations? Under £100? My phone and a tripod doesn't look that great really.

75RR

Re: Adding darkfield to Leitz SM-LUX

#2 Post by 75RR » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:17 pm

Katie2020 wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:52 pm
Ive tried to read threads about darkfield on here but its gone over my head.
... what exactly do i need to add to it to get darkfield? When i google leitz darkfield i see about twenty million different 'darkfield condesers'.
Just add a 'stop' under the condenser

See links:

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/ind ... trast.html

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/ind ... field.html
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Katie2020

#3 Post by Katie2020 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:23 pm

75RR wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:17 pm
Katie2020 wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:52 pm
Ive tried to read threads about darkfield on here but its gone over my head.
... what exactly do i need to add to it to get darkfield? When i google leitz darkfield i see about twenty million different 'darkfield condesers'.
Just add a 'stop' under the condenser

See links:

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/ind ... trast.html

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/ind ... field.html

Well that was cheaper than expected, thank you! I'd vaguely heard of this method but wasn't sure it applied to mine.

Katie2020

#4 Post by Katie2020 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:38 pm

How would i go about attaching them? I don't think i have a filter holder but i may be wrong.

My scope is identical to this

https://images.app.goo.gl/9TzdTzWc85pFPTD87

75RR

#5 Post by 75RR » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:23 pm

It depends on which version of the SM-LUX you have.

Here is the manual. Have a look at page 3

http://science-info.net/docs/leitz/Leit ... ctions.pdf

Culicoides

#6 Post by Culicoides » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:41 pm

Katie 2020 asked if you could get dark field with her Leitz sm lux. I too have an sm lux;like hers the condenser on mine has no filter tray, nor is there any provision to add one. Any dark field stop would have to be mounted just under the condenser.
I am wondering....
Suppose one were to fit an opaque tube (cardboard, plastic, or metal) of such a size as to fit over the light port on the base (on mine about 53 mm diameter) and of such a length to end just below the condenser (on mine about 94 mm). The top of this tube to have two diametrically opposite shallow rebates to support a rectangular piece of thin Perspex with an opaque black spot (black paint), the diameter to be found by experiment (around 10mm?), the plastic slide to be slid into position. If this would work, it would also be easy to add rheinberg by using transparent paints on other Perspex slides.
Comments and suggestions welcome while I look for a suitable tube.
Something to do apart from gardening while under lockdown!

75RR

#7 Post by 75RR » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:56 pm

I too have an sm lux;like hers the condenser on mine has no filter tray, nor is there any provision to add one.
If you look through the manual that was linked above you will see that there are options depending on the model.

However, given that it sometimes takes a while to source second hand parts, building a filter holder that is held under the condenser by magnets is very doable.

apochronaut

#8 Post by apochronaut » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:08 am

There are enough steel screws under the condenser to secure a filter holder?

Galf

#9 Post by Galf » Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:49 pm

There is a screw-on filter holder with two layers for the 'bathtub' 601-model condenser. It is secured by one tension screw on the side, not from below.
The simplest SM-LUX with the fixed condenser can be fitted with a plastic insert for darkfield (and even phase contrast on one or two objectives).

Perhaps it is not too difficult to create an insert from a piece of cardboard. Or something to hold secure with magnets as proposed above.

It is also possible to create darkfield by opening the field diaphragm (= lamp lens opening) and putting an opaque disc on in (cardboard will do again), experiment with the size to get a useful effect.

NB, on topic but not what you want to hear probably: there are dedicated darkfield condensers but your scope must be able to fit them. The disc-shaped 402a condenser has one setting giving you darkfield, the other are for brightfield and phase contrast.
Somehow only Leitz in the picture.