We're in desperate need of philosophers and historians!

Posts that are not microscopy-related should be placed here.
Yvan

We're in desperate need of philosophers and historians!

#1 Post by Yvan » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:32 am

Last edited by Yvan on Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NicoVB

Re: We're in desperate need of philosophers and historians!

#2 Post by NicoVB » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:12 pm

I speak dutch.
The stamp refers to:
Biologisch centrum
Centrale Facultaire Bibliotheek.

It's no biggy to understand that book belongs/belonged to the library of the university.
This is a book written in French right?
Despite it's value, maybe there is a Dutch or English version available, and this one got sold by auction.
Or somebody forgot to return it and it found it's way to the sales market...
Many possibilities.

You can search the library here:
https://bibliotheek.archief.amsterdam/library.html
When you make the most fantastic discovery, a lot of people want a piece of it...

charlie g

#3 Post by charlie g » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:34 pm

Right on NicoVB...all sorts of paths for this text to have found refuge in Yvans study. Wonderfuly,Yvan, you appreciate the dimensions of the personal notation inked on the inner cover, you have depth of context for the author of this book, for this books work life and celebration...and you online share this with us...bravo!

Perhaps you might donate it with a cover letter to a microscopy club in your country or region? Ha, ha, easy for me to suggest to others what they should donate!

I sense an online archive which open acess scans the book and keeps it alive for those whom might reach for it...vrs the fate of: "the velvatine rabbit".

You realize, Yvan..I'm being quite philosophical in my coments on your precious aquisition. I have a text circa 1890's which has been a source of historical and philosophical quest for me ...I'm trying to trace root influences which imbued it's author:

"In Brook and Bayou, or Life in Still Waters", Clara Kern Bayliss, illustrated,New York: D.Appleton and Company, pp 175, price 60 cents, 1897.

Thanks for this spotlight on your aquired text. charlie guevara

Yvan

#4 Post by Yvan » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:16 am