Whatever happended to the "Millenium-microscope"?

Posts that are not microscopy-related should be placed here.
Yvan

Whatever happended to the "Millenium-microscope"?

#1 Post by Yvan » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:19 pm

Last edited by Yvan on Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zzffnn

Re: Whatever happended to the "Millenium-microscope"?

#2 Post by zzffnn » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:10 am

They may be associated with Newton microscope:
http://www.newtonmicroscopes.com/store/

I found it unusual that their scope with 100x oil objective has no condenser and that their staff member insisted that condenser is not necessary at that magnification/NA.

apochronaut

#3 Post by apochronaut » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:51 am

a condenser is not necessary for a 100x objective. it's just that, if you want any kind of decent quality imaging, a condenser is necessary.
There are legions of newbies, now, who never looked through a microscope until recently, and due to the ubiquitous supply of trashy, dirt cheap, oriental scopes out there, have no idea what quality microscope imaging should look like...but they are hungry for money. Being more interested in business , than understanding the natural world, they are looking to turn a fast buck from even newer newbies, who are vulnerable to internet marketing and are more interested in understanding the natural world, than money. What a conenient relationship! It's easy to set up a website selling almost whatever you want to those desirous of a new revelation , that will fulfill the gap that their current understanding of reality has left vacant. I think the millenium microscope might nicely settle into such a sad web huckster scenario.

charlie g

#4 Post by charlie g » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:49 pm

Hi, apo and fan...is the 'fold scope' paper cut out scope the microscope you are talking about? The link you gave in this thread, apo, did not work for me. all the best, charlie guevara

billbillt

#5 Post by billbillt » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:42 pm

The 'fold scope' paper cut out scope was a waste of time and money.... I am glad I didn't have to pay for it.. It was hyped up as a scope that could be used in poor countries.. It is useless.. It barely forms a very poor image.. I was included in the Beta testing group that evaluated this "microscope".. Most reports were generally unfavorable, yet it is still being produced.. I guess the folks pushing this got their grant money and they intend to ride it out...

BillT