finger lakes/US partial solar eclipse at 3pm ET

Posts that are not microscopy-related should be placed here.
charlie g

finger lakes/US partial solar eclipse at 3pm ET

#1 Post by charlie g » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:04 pm

Yup...by 3pm the most (73 % obstruction in my area of our globe) obstruction was over with. I hand held a point&shoot to the refractors eyepiece..lost views due this spur of the moment setup.

The moon is about 400X closer to our globe than our Sol...We orbit our star, our moon orbits our globe...our globe is rotating...I'm getting dizzy!

Charlie guevara
Attachments
DSCN0046.JPG
DSCN0046.JPG (36.21 KiB) Viewed 5582 times
DSCN0034.JPG
DSCN0034.JPG (203.18 KiB) Viewed 5582 times

JimT

Re: finger lakes/US partial solar eclipse at 3pm ET

#2 Post by JimT » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:20 pm

Better than no pictures and looks like you caught a Sun spot.

charlie g

#3 Post by charlie g » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:34 pm

I hope, Jim T, that you or others might have online enjoyed the recent eclipse image capture which has: our moon, the sun with it's spots, and the Int.Space Station also transiting our sun!

There are online sites which list when one can see the ISS transits from many globe locations..but to view a ISS transit during a solar eclipse is sweet. The space station in transit is about twice the size of the current sunspots..and looks like a few tiny electrical ressistors stuck together by tiny wire conections.

This partial eclipse event for me..really permited visual understanding of our motions relative to eachother..thus I joked' I'm getting dizzy'. It's like laying on your back in a meadow and looking up at the nightface..and experiencing: 'the wheel of our sky turning'. Charlie guevara

Crater Eddie

#4 Post by Crater Eddie » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:25 am

We had only a short drive to get deep into totality. The corona was amazing. What an awe inspiring experience this was!
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

charlie g

#5 Post by charlie g » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:49 pm

Fantastic,CE, that you observed corona!! Did you look to ground for the optical 'ripples of the sunlight around your near totality experience? I heard it's look the ripples of light playing on a swimming pools bottom as sunlight shines down through gently swirling water column. There was a brief hint of this light effect at 2pm...but I was out doing chores then. Charlie guevara

billben74

#6 Post by billben74 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:32 pm

Wonderful times for those that saw some of the awesome (and this time I think I'm using the word with justification) spectacle
Even seeing the partial occult by the moon is impressive.

I saw the one in UK in 1999 and by incredible fortune the clouds parted at exactly the correct time.
Corona, birds roosting etc. I don't rememeber the rippling shadows but will look for them next time...
Inspired by seeing my US cousin's being inspired I plan to go to spain on August 12 2026.
The north of spain is one of my favourite places anyway and the path of totality will go through the fantastic national park: Picos de europe.
If possible I'll be there with my son who will be 14.
Finger's crossed...

Crater Eddie

#7 Post by Crater Eddie » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:06 am

Charlie, we were so busy looking up that none of us thought to look down for the "shadow snakes" as the rippling effect has been called. The 2024 eclipse totality path runs right smack dab though my hometown. You should come down and see it.
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

charlie g

#8 Post by charlie g » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:54 am

Billben74, and CE...I feast om your individual awe and family appreciations for our globes dance with our moon and our star...yes, yes!

I'm always cheered by a global experience which is positive...hear, hear for our recent solar eclipse! Charlie Guevara, finger lakes/US