Positive and Negative Bias in DIC

Here you can discuss different microscopic techniques and illumination methods, such as Brightfield, Darkfield, Phase Contrast, DIC, Oblique illumination, etc.
75RR

Positive and Negative Bias in DIC

#1 Post by 75RR » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:32 pm

Thought I would show how a DIC image can vary as one adjusts the Bias (The Bias is adjusted by turning the small screw on the DIC slider) Another important adjustment is that of orientation, obtained by rotating the stage. (Not shown)

Image apart from the Diatom and the scale is probably of two Statoblasts.

Positive............................................................................................Negative
ImageImage
Extinction
A closer look
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

KurtM

Re: Positive and Negative Bias in DIC

#2 Post by KurtM » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:40 pm

Shouldn't come as a surprise that I find this very interesting. I'm having a blast exploring my new DIC rig. Very happy I got the rotating stage on it too! 8-)
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas
email: ngc704(at)gmail(dot)com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/67904872@ ... 912223623/

75RR

#3 Post by 75RR » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:13 pm

Very happy I got the rotating stage on it too!
As I would be if I had one!

charlie g

#4 Post by charlie g » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:52 am

Hi all, say 75RR...do you struggle with 'correction collar' adjustments on your DIC higher NA objectives...even before you adjust the objective's prism bias?

I'm given cheer that both the cheek cells and diatom specimens seem aqueous slide preps !

Does your DIC system demand highly speced-tolerance cover slip thickness even before you image capture those cheek cells showing 'bias adjustment'?

I ask, 75RR as with the trouble I have of 'correction collar' adjusting my 60 objective...on the quintuple nosepiece...I'm wondering: does the Dic objective correction collar need adjusting as well as that 'prism bias adjustment'?

Is your DIC setup so demanding , that wetmount slides preps are tedious to optimize your costly DIC system to the 60X and 100X objectives?

In short, 75RR, is DIC in 60X, 100X objectives range useful for 'fresh water pond life wetmount slides preps'?

thanks for your DIC post...I hope more come to forum! charlie guevara

75RR

#5 Post by 75RR » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:40 am

Hi charlie g,

My DIC system has a DIC prism in the condenser and individual DIC sliders in each objective.

Zeiss made a total of 10 sliders covering a range of objectives.

I only have 2 sliders, one for a 40x/0.65 and one for a 63x/1.4, neither of which has a correction collar.

Am using cover slips in the 0.13 to 0.17 mm range (that is what it says on the box anyway)

Am only just starting out with DIC so I really could not say what the optimum arrangement is.

Have only practiced with the 40x/0.65 with a wet mount, seems easy enough once one gets the hang of the procedure, though I do not know how good a job I am doing!

The cheek cells (if that is what they are) under the heading 10.9 is an extract from "Fundamentals of Light Microscopy and Electronic Imaging" that I added by way of explanation.