Please Teach Me Sharpening

Here you can discuss topics such as focus stacking, stitching and other techniques that relate to the processing of micrographs.
rnabholz

Re: Please Teach Me Sharpening

#31 Post by rnabholz » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:55 am

gekko wrote:
rnabholz wrote:Sorry guys, didn't mean to vex you, but I think that is another contributing factor to my troubles.

These darn diatoms do in fact push my equipment's capabilities. I am not used to the idea that my camera just might not be able to deliver what I am expecting from it and that is a reasonable outcome.

Toss in the slight spreading of point sources that comes with darkfield, and a fellow starts to doubt himself.

That is not to say I have everything mastered, and that it is all the equipment's fault, not by a long shot. And that is why I am interested in everybody's approach.

Thanks for the efforts so far and the great discussion.

Hope others will still chime in.

Rod
As far as I know, if your camera-microscope optical "connection" is proper, and the sensor image is parfocal with the eyepiece image, the camera should be able to give you almost as good a result as you see through the eyepieces. You have an excellent sensor with much more than enough resolution. So if the image is significantly worse than the view through the eyepiece, maybe you should look into that (starting with brightfield in order to remove one factor; also DF is harder to judge, and harder to expose properly because I think the contrast can be very large.)
Having said all that, other than this image and one of a circular diatom, I thought your images are superb and for darfield images, I think they are more than superb. So I wouldn't let one or two pesky diatoms aggravate me. Maybe try brightfield on those. Sorry. I'm rambling...
Thanks you gekko.

It is not so much that the view is any different in the photos vs the eyepiece, but more of what Kurt said about knowing there is more there to see and not being able to bring it in.

Thanks for your interest and great contributions to the discussion.

Rod

billbillt

#32 Post by billbillt » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:05 am

gekko wrote:BillT, thank you for your attempt, but as you know, downsizing an image throws away information, but enlarging it does not add back the information that was lost in downsizing it. So, in effect, we get the equivalent of empty magnification. At least that is what I think.
Hi Gekko,
Yes, you are absolutely correct.. I only posted it for possibly eye appeal..

BillT

gekko

#33 Post by gekko » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:10 am

billbillt wrote:
gekko wrote:BillT, thank you for your attempt, but as you know, downsizing an image throws away information, but enlarging it does not add back the information that was lost in downsizing it. So, in effect, we get the equivalent of empty magnification. At least that is what I think.
Hi Gekko,
Yes, you are absolutely correct.. I only posted it for possibly eye appeal..

BillT
I apologize, BillT. Initially I had missed your reason you posted it, but afterward I think I got it. Thanks for posting the enlarged image.

vasselle

#34 Post by vasselle » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:35 pm

Bonjour.
Voici votre photo avec une accentuation faite avec Lightroom 5.
SharpeningTrialFull_filtered (Copier).jpg
SharpeningTrialFull_filtered (Copier).jpg (289.62 KiB) Viewed 10496 times
Par contre avec accentuation il ne faut surtout pas trop le pousser car sinon on rajoute du bruit à image,il faut mieux des le début faire une mise au point bien nette est rajouter un peu accentuation au poste traitement mes léger
Cordialement seb.
Microscope Leitz Laborlux k
Boitier EOS 1200D + EOS 1100D

vasselle

#35 Post by vasselle » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:39 pm

Et pour image il ne faut pas trop agrandir sinon on à un grossissement à vide qui ne donne pas plus de détails à image.
Ces pour ça que je les redimensionner en 768x1024.
Cordialement seb
Microscope Leitz Laborlux k
Boitier EOS 1200D + EOS 1100D

KurtM

#36 Post by KurtM » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:04 pm

^^^ And there we have it from the master of startling clarity and razor sharp imagery.

Light Zone is, I believe, the open source equivalent to Light Room 5, which today is the photo editing software used pretty much ubiquitously by professional and advanced amateur photographers the world over.

But I still don't understand precisely how Seb produced what I consider to be the best version yet, Google translate is making a hash out of his French today.
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas
email: ngc704(at)gmail(dot)com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/67904872@ ... 912223623/

billbillt

#37 Post by billbillt » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:32 pm

Hi Kurt,

"And to picture it should not be too much larger if not one magnification to a vacuum that does not give more details on image.
This why I resize them 768x1024."
Sincerely seb

I think all hr is saying is resizes his photos to 768x X 1024..

BillT

rnabholz

#38 Post by rnabholz » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:15 pm

Thank you Seb.

Your version is indeed excellent. I have come to realize that a significant part of my frustration is being over aggressive with sizing. You reinforce that point nicely. Thank you for taking the time to edit and post.

Rod

mrsonchus

#39 Post by mrsonchus » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:43 pm

I don't know if it helps but I've read that every time an edit-and-save is made to a jpeg image quality lessens - I don't really know what this means, I'm just starting to try to improve my images as this excellent thread has inspired me to have a mess with some of them...
:)
Last edited by mrsonchus on Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John B

rnabholz

#40 Post by rnabholz » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:55 pm

mrsonchus wrote:I don't know if it helps but I've read that every time an edit-and-save is made to a jpeg image :) quality lessens - I don't really know what this means, I'm just starting to try to improve my images as this excellent thread has inspired me to have a mess with some of them...
Hi John.

JPEG is what is known as a "lossy" compression format. It basically trades some quality to reduce file size. So when you save that Raw file to jpeg, it turns out much smaller, because the software takes a look at the file and decides that it can do without some of the pixels and tosses them overboard.

If you open a JPEG and edit it and save it again as a JPEG, you subject a file that has already passed through the JPEG machine to a second round of the same thing, some data goes overboard again, and the file size shrinks again. Keep doing that and you will have a mess when you are done.

Rod

mrsonchus

#41 Post by mrsonchus » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:36 pm

rnabholz wrote:
mrsonchus wrote:I don't know if it helps but I've read that every time an edit-and-save is made to a jpeg image :) quality lessens - I don't really know what this means, I'm just starting to try to improve my images as this excellent thread has inspired me to have a mess with some of them...
Hi John.

JPEG is what is known as a "lossy" compression format. It basically trades some quality to reduce file size. So when you save that Raw file to jpeg, it turns out much smaller, because the software takes a look at the file and decides that it can do without some of the pixels and tosses them overboard.

If you open a JPEG and edit it and save it again as a JPEG, you subject a file that has already passed through the JPEG machine to a second round of the same thing, some data goes overboard again, and the file size shrinks again. Keep doing that and you will have a mess when you are done.

Rod
Makes sense to me Rod - this is definitely going to be a consideration in the future I think, for me anyway. Thanks for the tip Rod. :)
John B

rnabholz

#42 Post by rnabholz » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:16 am

So I thought I would take a run at it again applying some of the tips that you all have been so kind to pass on.

Here is my result. I do think it is better, but realize more than ever that this is tough image.

Thanks Everyone!
SharpeningTrialAttempt.JPG
SharpeningTrialAttempt.JPG (108.44 KiB) Viewed 10457 times