Photoshop Elements 18?

Here you can discuss topics such as focus stacking, stitching and other techniques that relate to the processing of micrographs.
Crater Eddie

Photoshop Elements 18?

#1 Post by Crater Eddie » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:27 am

Does anyone have PSE18? Is there any compelling reason to upgrade to it over PSE13? Or a good reason not to? Just wondering.
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

mrsonchus

Re: Photoshop Elements 18?

#2 Post by mrsonchus » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:23 pm

Hi Ed' I'm still using PSE9 - I've often considered an upgrade but always come to the conclusion that for photomicrography the later versions seem to be of somewhat limited use.
The later versions have more features of course, but are mostly of the kind that increase automation of image adjustments that 'general' photography may find useful. The functions I use are basically levels, colour/white balance and a measure of sharpening...

I also use the excellent layers system for annotation.

It's probably worth upgrading though simply because it's nice to have a new version to explore - considering how relatively inexpensive PSE is.

Go-get it Ed'!
John B

MicroBob

#3 Post by MicroBob » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:43 pm

The main purchase argument for new versions of image editing software is the support of newer cameras raw files. You simply can't use the old software for raw conversions of cameras that came to the market after the software version. Without this trick the software companies would earn a lot less money. So if you don't have a new camera it is questionable wether the update is a big advantage for you.

Crater Eddie

#4 Post by Crater Eddie » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:25 pm

Thanks for the comments, you both make good points. Looking at the system requirements, I see that the laptop I use in the lab just barely meets the minimum recommendations for PSE18, but has resources to spare for PSE13, so I think I'll probably stay with 13 for now unless someone comes up with a good argument for upgrading. My camera is older, I know that it's RAW files work fine with PSE13, so there is that as well.
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB