Hoffman modulation contrast?

Here you can discuss different microscopic techniques and illumination methods, such as Brightfield, Darkfield, Phase Contrast, DIC, Oblique illumination, etc.
kit1980

Hoffman modulation contrast?

#1 Post by kit1980 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:27 pm

Any experience with Hoffman modulation contrast? How it compares to more popular DIC techniques?
Is it available for objectives greater than 40x? (I can't find any)
Omax microscope with Nikon CF objectives
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II camera
http://sdymphoto.com/

zzffnn

Re: Hoffman modulation contrast?

#2 Post by zzffnn » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:46 pm

The reason why HMC is rare for more than 40x objective is that it is mainly used for petri dish (0.8-1.5mm cover) and inverted scope.

Its imaging quality, as I heard from an expert (Dave Jackson of Better Microscopy), is lower than good oblique or DIC.

It also has to use specialized objectives (with non removable HMC optical parts).

Overall, I think an amateur microphotographer would be better off staying with oblique for the same effect. Not to mention oblique is easy to DIY and much cheaper.

cmtalb01

Re: Hoffman modulation contrast?

#3 Post by cmtalb01 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:25 am

I purchased a used HM 40X objective and condenser many years ago and rather like the contrast enhancement that I can get. I have reflected DIC and it is by far superior, but for transmission, my only enhancement options are darkfield, phase, HM, Rheinberg, or something I found on the internet called P.A.C.O. A comparison of a gold nanoparticle agglomerate with both 40X phase and 40X HM are attached.

What I like is that there are no halos with HM which is an annoyance with phase. Also, since is basically a polarized filter off center from zero order light through the objective (and matching polar in the condenser) you can make infinite adjustments and use things like a red tint plate or the aforementioned P.A.C.O. device to get some very interesting enhacements.

HM does give a 3D aspect but it depends on the orientation of the sample to the filters and can be misleading of assumed height when it is not.
Attachments
AuNP 400X HoffMod (McCrone)
AuNP 400X HoffMod (McCrone)
AuNP 400X HM.jpg (113.63 KiB) Viewed 3788 times
AuNP 400X phase (Zeiss)
AuNP 400X phase (Zeiss)
AuNP 400X Phase.jpg (116.6 KiB) Viewed 3788 times