More guff about GUF

Here you can discuss different microscopic techniques and illumination methods, such as Brightfield, Darkfield, Phase Contrast, DIC, Oblique illumination, etc.
Radazz

More guff about GUF

#1 Post by Radazz » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:10 am

Here are some better examples of this technique.
I thought I’d re-post these rather than bury them at the bottom of the previous post.
I’m experimenting with my cell phone through the formerly pee-encrusted Spencer 13 MLH.

A couple of vintage plant sections 10x And 44x
The first photo is with circular oblique stop, the others with the GUF.
GUF is inserted in the filter slot.
One set of gradient strips was printed blue, and another consisting of several layers tinted different colors and combined in Photoshop. Both were then printed on clear acitate with an old HP 952 photo printer. Next, I sandwiched together 2 copies print side to print side. The multi-colored one turned out sort of lavender. Finally the notched tape to control the effect. I’m still searching for a clean mounting that is easy to control under the condenser. I’m having much better luck with a mount about 2 cm wide as opposed to closer to the width of the filter slot.
I’d include a picture of my complete filter, but it still looks just as ugly as all the examples on line.
I want to find a carriage that will fit into the filter slot on any of my microscopes that doesn’t look like little patches of tape haphazardly, I mean experimentally stuck all over it.

I suggest going through some old prepared slides you may have put away with this filter.
Some of them will be complete duds, but a few might be spectacular.
Darkfield and oblique illumination can do some wild things with these old stains.

The last shot can make me see an illusion I sometimes see looking at a photo of a field of lunar craters. Suddenly my perception of the light direction reverses and all of the craters become bumps and the rims look like deep canyons.
Arnold, Missouri
Olympus IX70
Olympus BX40
Olympus SZ40

Radazz

Re: More guff about GUF

#2 Post by Radazz » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:39 am

Addendum: here is my Mark II GUF filter carrier. The two screens are sandwiched between two sheets of some business card stock forming the notch. This seems to be opaque enough, but I might color it black anyway.
Lining up the screens doesn’t seem to be any real issue. Perhaps the resulting moier pattern helps achieve the effect.

Last edited by Radazz on Sat May 26, 2018 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arnold, Missouri
Olympus IX70
Olympus BX40
Olympus SZ40

McConkey

#3 Post by McConkey » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:10 am

Great looking filter! I really love how simple these guys are to make and the incredible effects they have! I've yet to use the GUF on any of my mounted slides! Thanks for the suggestion!

The colours in the second image are fantastic and all of the images have a great sense of depth to them! Awesome stuff!

aha one question though..."formally pee-encrusted" :?:
Karl
AO21 with Canon M3

Radazz

#4 Post by Radazz » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:44 am

Not sure how to link to another thread. Check Collecting Microscopes and Slides on this board, a post entitled ‘two solutions to the same problem’.
The Spencer model 13 came from a seller who said the microscope was used in his father’s medical practice for 40 years, and used daily for urinalysis. It was covered in dried urine.

I was telling my doctor about it and she was cringing as soon as I mentioned urinalysis, and said they never clean that one.

Her son is in medical school now and she said they don’t use microscopes anymore, everything is digital and on line. She said she has a microscope in the office that hasn’t been uncovered for years.

I was amazed and appalled!
Arnold, Missouri
Olympus IX70
Olympus BX40
Olympus SZ40

McConkey

#5 Post by McConkey » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:15 pm

aha incredible! I found the topic!

Amazing to think they don't clean them after each and every use!!!
Karl
AO21 with Canon M3

einman

#6 Post by einman » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:58 pm

My daughter completed a microbiology class recently and they used a "virtual" microscope for training. That is how they learned the operation..via a virtual online image. They were encouraged to use a real microscope if available. Although their lab did have scopes they could opt for the online course which used the virtual scopes.

I let her use the Diaplan for photos etc...