scan lines in my camera image

Here you can discuss different microscopic techniques and illumination methods, such as Brightfield, Darkfield, Phase Contrast, DIC, Oblique illumination, etc.
DonSchaeffer

scan lines in my camera image

#1 Post by DonSchaeffer » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:12 pm

When I use my main incandescent lamp powered by the AC converted to DC power or when I add an LED lamp for side-wise illumination powered by the USB, ( get horizontal scan lines in my camera image. These can be very disruptive. Has anyone had this problem and has anyone found a solution?

Hobbyst46

Re: scan lines in my camera image

#2 Post by Hobbyst46 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:22 pm

It often happens with LED light. You might try to lower the exposure speed - expose for longer peridos. 1/15 s instead of 1/30 s, etc.

MicroBob

#3 Post by MicroBob » Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:16 pm

Hi Don,
your incandescent lamp should be powered with current that is rectified and smoothed by a condensator - with proper DC power it doesn't flicker.
LEDs can go on and off in an instant an can flicker severely if not powered by smoothed DC. Sometimes LED lamps are powered just with rectified AC and they flicker extremely but just not quite visible by the eye because it happens so fast. Do you have a smartphone or camera with a high speed film mode like 120 fps or so? This could identify a flickering lamp. With your incandescent lamp it can have an effect whether you turn it up fully or let it run in dimmed mode.

Bob

DonSchaeffer

#4 Post by DonSchaeffer » Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:53 pm

Thanks Hobbyist and Bob. I'll try messing with the software.