Mixing phase rings

Here you can discuss different microscopic techniques and illumination methods, such as Brightfield, Darkfield, Phase Contrast, DIC, Oblique illumination, etc.
Plasmid

Mixing phase rings

#1 Post by Plasmid » Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:43 am

Im a bit confused when it comes to phase rings, my understanding is that they are normally PH1-3 and that they match the plates on the objectives in order to work.
Is there a correlation like PH1 corresponding to 10X , PH2 to 20X ... Etc.
The reason I ask is because I own a PH wheel condenser 10-100X and im missing the 100X oil objective and was wondering if a 60X dry PH objective would work with any if those rings.

PeteM

Re: Mixing phase rings

#2 Post by PeteM » Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:00 am

Within a brand and a model era (e.g. Nikon finite DIN 160mm phase contrast objectives), any objective marked something like "Ph2" should work with the Ph2 annulus. There are no guarantees that a "Ph2" for Nikon will cross to a "Ph2" for Zeiss (and so on).

Generally speaking the higher numbers correspond to higher magnifications (at least in my experience with Leitz, Leica, Nikon, Olympus, Reichert, Zeiss) but (to make up and example) a 20x .40 na and a 20x .75na might have different phase rings installed in them, even within the same brand and model.

Plasmid

Re: Mixing phase rings

#3 Post by Plasmid » Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:15 am

Guess I won't know until I order it, worst case scenario I'll have a 60X objective for BF, which leads me to my next question...... the said 60X objective ( bali Infiniti) list a Objective Parfocal Distance: 45mm and working distance of .69mm .....how can I find out if is parfocal with my system? Granted I have no Idea what is the WD and parfocal distance for my system.

https://bolioptics.com/60x-infinity-cor ... ce-0-69mm/