Is there such a thing as a Rheinberg condenser?

Here you can discuss different microscopic techniques and illumination methods, such as Brightfield, Darkfield, Phase Contrast, DIC, Oblique illumination, etc.
Scoper

Is there such a thing as a Rheinberg condenser?

#1 Post by Scoper » Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:55 am

The technique is an interesting one.. has any company made a Rheinberg condenser?

Thanks for any info.

Scarodactyl

Re: Is there such a thing as a Rheinberg condenser?

#2 Post by Scarodactyl » Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:02 am

I think I saw one for sale on eBay fairly recently, one of the b or c-tier brands.

MikeBradley

#3 Post by MikeBradley » Tue Sep 12, 2023 3:22 pm

There is an interesting article about Rheinberg condensers here. The article is by Paul Martin and was originally published in Modern Microscopy in 2014.

https://www.mccrone.com/wp-content/uplo ... inberg.pdf

Michael
Olympus BH2,
AO110
Carl Zeiss Standard WL
Canon 90D

MichaelG.

#4 Post by MichaelG. » Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:31 am

Thanks for the link, Michael

… interesting indeed !

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

apochronaut

#5 Post by apochronaut » Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:52 pm

A lot of frustration and unnecessary experimentation would be avoided if the concept of just what is a condenser was at first at hand. In some cases it seems that
" condenser " is often used as a general term for an understage device with which to modify the light path to the sample.
There are two devices at work under the stage and not always are both present, although in more advanced microscopes , both need to be. The two are the diaphragm, which modifies the light and the condenser which focuses on the output of diaphragm in it's front focal plane and then focuses that image of the modified light on the object and subsequently the back focal plane of the objective. It's like dumping the contents of a blender into a funnel. The blender jar shape, blade design, speed, pulse, main ingredients and water or oil content can change immeasurably but only the funnel can focus the contents. It's input i.d., output i.d., same relative diameters of the spout, smoothness of the throat, speed of pour, proximity to the receiving vesicle all change the resulting pour. The blender is the diaphragm and the funnel is the condenser.

Very often, the condenser is the same for many different diaphragm designs or in the instance of a more highly engineered condensing system, the condenser might be critically engineered to match the throughput of the diaphragm but in most cases what is being described as a condrnser, is actually a diaphragm.

MichaelG.

#6 Post by MichaelG. » Fri Sep 15, 2023 5:42 am

apochronaut wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:52 pm
A lot of frustration and unnecessary experimentation would be avoided if the concept of just what is a condenser

[…]

but in most cases what is being described as a condrnser, is actually a diaphragm.

An interesting, and rather disturbing, point ^^^

Of all the words in the vocabulary of optics … condenser would seem to be a very logical and self-explanatory one

… but I’m sure you are right. :(

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'