Interchangeable DIC prisms (shear values for different manufacturers)

Here you can discuss different microscopic techniques and illumination methods, such as Brightfield, Darkfield, Phase Contrast, DIC, Oblique illumination, etc.
tpruuden

Interchangeable DIC prisms (shear values for different manufacturers)

#1 Post by tpruuden » Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:11 am

Are there DIC prism shear values stated somewhere for the Leica, Nikon, Zeiss, Olympus?
Considering the frameless stress-gradient DIC prisms could be manufactured quite cheaply, it may be beneficial to try to gather list of different manufacturers DIC prism shear values as a reference.
Frames for the prisms are also quite cheap and easy to 3D print. Example of 3D printed Leica prism frames and frameless stress-gradient prism (largest on image is stressed polycarbonate):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WIEHas ... drive_link
Last edited by tpruuden on Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scarodactyl

Re: Interchangeable DIC prisms (shear values for different manufacturers)

#2 Post by Scarodactyl » Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:06 am

I am not familiar with frameless stress gradient prisms. How do they work?

viktor j nilsson

#3 Post by viktor j nilsson » Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:29 am

There's this:
Screenshot_20231014-081850~2.jpg
Screenshot_20231014-081850~2.jpg (45.96 KiB) Viewed 6901 times
https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... modulation

Also this:
Screenshot_20231014-082347~2.jpg
Screenshot_20231014-082347~2.jpg (24.53 KiB) Viewed 6901 times
https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... Microscopy

Michael Shribak may have published more data points elsewhere in his papers, but It was a while since I was digging through this literature.

Tom Jones

#4 Post by Tom Jones » Sat Oct 14, 2023 2:45 pm

Good luck finding the shear values. I've only seen a few for the UIS Olympus objectives, and those had been determined by the researchers who wrote the book. Those tend to be rather jealously guarded secrets.

Edit - the post above lists the only ones I've ever seen. And those are not from the manufacturer.

tpruuden

#5 Post by tpruuden » Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:24 pm

Basically Sanderson prisms without the external stress frame, pretty much any method works as long the correct stress gradient is created in the polymer.
Scarodactyl wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:06 am

tpruuden

#6 Post by tpruuden » Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:26 pm

Those are pretty nice finds, thank you!
viktor j nilsson wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:29 am

https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... modulation

https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... Microscopy

Michael Shribak may have published more data points elsewhere in his papers, but It was a while since I was digging through this literature.

Sure Squintsalot

#7 Post by Sure Squintsalot » Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:00 pm

tpruuden wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:24 pm
Basically Sanderson prisms without the external stress frame, pretty much any method works as long the correct stress gradient is created in the polymer.
Scarodactyl wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:06 am
Having built my own Sanderson plate, I can't see how the system could be modified to properly deform thin materials:
Screenshot 2023-03-16 180323.jpg
Screenshot 2023-03-16 180323.jpg (105.52 KiB) Viewed 6811 times
A Sanderson plate is a PITA to get to focus on the condenser back focal plane. A "frameless stress gradient prism" would be ideal...assuming they're easier to make than grinding your own quartz prisms, which, I've looked into doing. Not that big of a deal to do, but without knowing manufacturer spec might be a waste of time.

I suspect that these prisms, assuming that they're 3D printed, have incorporated some of the natural warping that occurs when printing this kind of thing? But on what axis?

huverson

#8 Post by huverson » Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:01 pm

I would also be very interested to learn more about the frameless stressed materials as well as the used shear angles - And especially the typical differences in shear angles for the condensor-side prism. The article above stating the Olympus-angles is about the objective-side and you can see the relationship between focal length of objective and the resulting displacement on the sample. It has the form: tan(shear)*focal-length = displacement

However, for Sanderson-type prisms one has a much better chance to replace the condensor-prism, as usually there is better access to the vicinity of the back focal plane at the condensor side. The objective-prisms most are Nomarski-type ones (interference-plane is NOT inside the prism by changing the optical orientation of one of the wedges). How can you mimic this with a Sanderson? Or is that wrong?

tpruuden

#9 Post by tpruuden » Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:38 pm

This is UV filter casing from HOYA. One can see the residual stresses resulting from the injection molding. There are multiple methods for creating the stress gradients for organic materials, some seem to be giving reasonable results.
Stresses2.jpg
Stresses2.jpg (53.19 KiB) Viewed 6488 times
What considers the Nomarski vs Wollaston prisms and back focal distance, the focal distance can be modified by stacking the prisms to some extent, as shown in the patent microb found:
https://patentimages.storage.googleapis ... 0723A1.pdf

tpruuden

#10 Post by tpruuden » Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:28 pm

To drive further the discussion - edge view:
Attachments
frameless DIC.jpg
frameless DIC.jpg (19.79 KiB) Viewed 6255 times

apochronaut

#11 Post by apochronaut » Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:33 am

You know that's one of those 3-D visual puzzles don't you? Is that the upper right corner looking down from the outside upper right or the upper right corner looing up from the inside lower left?

tpruuden

#12 Post by tpruuden » Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:45 am

:D Puzzle is all quite simple - laminate frame stressed Sanderson prism between glass plates. Remove frame. Trim excess.
Or use suitable laser to ablate internal matrix on the edge areas to create expansion stress - have not yet tested this.
I was trying to see, if anyone has more interesting approaches...

Upper right corner, looking down from the outside upper right (illustrative image).
apochronaut wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:33 am
You know that's one of those 3-D visual puzzles don't you? Is that the upper right corner looking down from the outside upper right or the upper right corner looing up from the inside lower left?