Experience with µstuff's Flashgun Microscope Adapter.

Here you can discuss different microscopic techniques and illumination methods, such as Brightfield, Darkfield, Phase Contrast, DIC, Oblique illumination, etc.
MicroMan2

Experience with µstuff's Flashgun Microscope Adapter.

#1 Post by MicroMan2 » Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:19 am

Hello all,

I have recently purchased µstuff's Flashgun Microscope adapter for the Olympus BH2-BHS as indicated by this link: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/265357232852?_t ... p_homepage When testing I found that my Flashgun was constantly under-exposed when trying to decrease power levels to 1/8 through 1/16 where motion for most organisms can be captured. My Flashgun is a Yongnuo Neewer 580 Speedlite 750 with a GN# of 58. I am thinking of a way to increase the flash's light intensity by buying a more powerful unit. However, I need further advice on how proceed on this endeavor or if there are alternative approaches while using this unit. Altering my DSLR's shutter speed or ISO is not effective as it causes the background LED light of the Flashgun adapter to predominate the image over the flash. This undermines any intervention with these approaches. I really appreciate all the help.

MichaelG.

Re: Experience with µstuff's Flashgun Microscope Adapter.

#2 Post by MichaelG. » Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:16 am

I was not familiar with your Flashgun … but this appears to be it:
https://uk.neewer.com/products/on-off-c ... h-66600090

From what you write, it does seem that you simply need more light on the specimen … but before making a potentially expensive purchase, I would investigate the ‘metering’ aspects of both the flashgun and the camera.

Terms like TTL [ Through The Lens ] and OTF [ Off The Film ] have been widely mis-used in recent years, and can lead to unexpected results.

That’s not intended as criticism of anyone, or any equipment, but using a Flashgun outside its ‘design envelope’ can be trickier than it looks. … Do some careful test shots at various settings, just to make sure that nothing silly is happening.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

TonyT

#3 Post by TonyT » Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:21 pm

Not sure if this helps but I use a Nikon flash on my BHS.
I remove the BHS's box surrounding the bulb; leave lamp as is.
Lay the flash horizontal pointing at the bulb
Control the flash duration wirelessy through my D810
Use the BHS lamp to focus, turn it off and use flash to expose; use live view to see results.

DO NOT place the flash close to the BHS lamp, lamp gets hot and will melt the front of the flash!

]
New Brunswick
Canada

Saul

#4 Post by Saul » Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:35 pm

Hi Aaron,

Could you please describe the setup of your microscope ?

Thanks,
Saul