A modern take on Koehler

Here you can discuss different microscopic techniques and illumination methods, such as Brightfield, Darkfield, Phase Contrast, DIC, Oblique illumination, etc.
MichaelG.

A modern take on Koehler

#1 Post by MichaelG. » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:05 pm

This interesting paper [free PDF download] describes an experimental construction using 4f components:
https://inspirehep.net/literature/1722279

Intended as a teaching-aid, it’s well-described and full of good ideas !

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

BramHuntingNematodes

Re: A modern take on Koehler

#2 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:11 am

Oh yeah I been using those thorlabs aspheric lenses with my LEDs for awhile now they're great and not too pricey.
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

MichaelG.

#3 Post by MichaelG. » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:08 am

Although I still commend the paper to anyone with an interest in Koehler illumination … I am rather bewildered by the assertion that it is
low-cost
:?

Comments from those familiar with funding in Academia would be appreciated !

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

SuiGenerisBrewing

#4 Post by SuiGenerisBrewing » Thu May 02, 2024 11:52 am

I think the "low-cost" claim is in regards to the lenses and other materials needed to create a Koehler setup on optical tables (which is what I assume they mean by "tabletop systems", rather than those made for conventional microscopes.

I have an optical table that I use for teaching microscopy concepts at my uni. The configuration we use to explain Koehler uses ~$500 worth of lenses and mounts. The setup in this paper would be around half that cost. Not exactly a huge savings, but it is less.

As a comparison, the teaching scopes we have the students use (which have a Koehler condenser, plus phase and dark field) run $6,000 - $8,000 each.

Macro_Cosmos

#5 Post by Macro_Cosmos » Fri May 03, 2024 12:57 pm

MichaelG. wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:08 am
Although I still commend the paper to anyone with an interest in Koehler illumination … I am rather bewildered by the assertion that it is
low-cost
Yeah, it is low-cost. Any proper lab will already have sorted cabinets filled with cage components, so those are "free". The lenses would be another $200 or so, or in my case, $0 because I yoinked them from a dead sequencer.

A new Ti2 or IX73 would be ~$30k with fluorescence options, and no objectives. In perspective, $5k (or their $2k) would be deemed low-cost.
An even lower cost method would involve a dig into their storage for some old microscope to salvage the transmitted light path, $0. No fumbling around with annoying cage systems and no need to align anything or rage when some a...hole dumped imperial screws into the metric drawer. A $5 heatsink with a $5 single-die LED would outperform that dim Thorlabs dinky thing that has horrible cooling and efficiency. The LED can be controlled with a power supply which they definitely have.