Using Confocal Microscopy for biotin peptide

Here you can discuss different microscopic techniques and illumination methods, such as Brightfield, Darkfield, Phase Contrast, DIC, Oblique illumination, etc.
henrrymo

Using Confocal Microscopy for biotin peptide

#1 Post by henrrymo » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:48 am

Dear all,
I believe that all of you are experts in microscopy field. Now I bought a Confocal Microscopy from my colleague to observe the whole process of experiment on biotin peptide. I am wondering if this is proper?

apochronaut

Re: Using Confocal Microscopy for biotin peptide

#2 Post by apochronaut » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:22 pm

Rather than conventional methods of biochemical assay? Probably too much microscope. They are very sensitive to tiny imperfections in coverglass quality or contamination in the optical path too, so require extreme precision and care in use. Wide field fluorescent microscopes are more forgiving and provide the information anyway. I don't use my fluorescent microscope much, so we should trade.

kinase

Re: Using Confocal Microscopy for biotin peptide

#3 Post by kinase » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:15 pm

What exactly is it you're trying to figure out?

The confocal is also capable of epifluorescence, at least the one I use also has an LED source for 405, 488, 561, 640. That link goes to vasopression with BIotin tagged to it, are you going to use an anti-biotin antibody and then secondaries to see where the vasopressin is after you've added it to something?

Also I didn't think a confocal fluorescence setup is something you just buy go off and buy, are you part of lab or PI or something?