Phase Contrast on new scope

Here you can discuss different microscopic techniques and illumination methods, such as Brightfield, Darkfield, Phase Contrast, DIC, Oblique illumination, etc.
p3aul

Phase Contrast on new scope

#1 Post by p3aul » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:52 am

Hi I have just received an Amscope T610 Infinity Plan Microscope bundled with their Turret Phase Contrast kit. I am having trouble setting up the annulae for Phase Contrast.

I replaced all the objectives that came on the scope with their Phase equivalents. I rotated the condenser wheel until each ring matched the correct objective I inserted the CT and tried to center each Annulae ring to cover the objective ring.

The problem is I can't see rings! I have enough light and I can take the condenser out and look through lens and I see each annulae in turn so I know what I'm looking for (a ring broken into several segments).

Also, even though a green filter was included, there is no filter holder! Can you use PC without one?

Thanks for any and all help! I;m at the point of sending this thing back!

Paul
Paul Microscope: Amscope T400b Camera: Amscope MU300
Telescope: Orion xt6 classic Dob, Zhumell z10 classic Dob

billporter1456

Re: Phase Contrast on new scope

#2 Post by billporter1456 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:09 am

Did it come with a manual or have you downloaded a manual? Did you set up Kohler illumination first? If you are focused on something on a slide and have set up Kohler, I would think that when you rotate the condenser to the position for 10X phase contrast (and you are using the 10X phase objective), you should see the broken circle of light when you focus the CT. One thing for sure, you don't need to use the green filter. Images in phase contrast should have somewhat higher resolution when the green filer is in place (really anywhere between the light source and the objective).

I just checked the Amscope Website and you should be able to download a manual for your microscope.

lorez

#3 Post by lorez » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:08 pm

you should see the broken circle of light when you focus the CT
As Bill said, focusing may be the solution. There are a variety of CT styles, but in one way or another they are all focusable. Some are threaded and others are just a sleeve within a sleeve that is secured by a thumb screw. You may have to lengthen the CT to get the rings into focus and once you have one objective focused it is fairly easy to get the next one.

lorez

KurtM

#4 Post by KurtM » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:20 am

Gentlemen, may I remind you that this forum may be monitored by total noobs who have no idea what a "CT" is...? As for me, I'm hardly brand new to all this, but I'm wondering what y'all are talking about - may I assume a Centering Telescope? I've always heard 'em called Phase Telescopes.

At any rate, I'm thinking Lorez has nailed it: you just gotta focus your whatever telescope until you get a clear picture that makes sense, because it's really so simple as to be practically self-explanatory once you see what's going on.

Green filter? We don't need no steenkin' green filters for phase contrast. Purely an accessory item, it is.
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas
email: ngc704(at)gmail(dot)com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/67904872@ ... 912223623/

lorez

#5 Post by lorez » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:02 am

I replaced all the objectives that came on the scope with their Phase equivalents. I rotated the condenser wheel until each ring matched the correct objective I inserted the CT and tried to center each Annulae ring to cover the objective ring.
I did not mean to confuse the issue by being lazy with my typing. I just followed the lead of Paul.

One should never assume. My Centering Telescope has CT printed on it.

When I want to sound enlightened beyond my years I use the term "Phase Contrast Annulae Alignment and Centering Telescope Apparatus"

lorez

KurtM

#6 Post by KurtM » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:39 am

If I ruffled feathers, my apologies - I clumsily attempted to speak light-heartedly, certainly not sternly. It's just one of my pet peeves that all too often it is forgotten that everything we say and do on internet forums becomes part of a collective intelligence archive that is very much subject to being searched by newcomers of the future. :ugeek:

Incidentally, you know my experience level more or less, Lorez ... and this is the very first time I've ever heard of CT being printed on a phase telescope ... I mean, centering telescope. :mrgreen:
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas

lorez

#7 Post by lorez » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:24 am

I like light hearted. I have no sensitive feathers.

My phase centering telescope is forty years old and has held its paint well.
ncidentally, you know my experience level more or less, Lorez
Yes, and I look forward to your posts.

lorez

KurtM

#8 Post by KurtM » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:44 am

Oh, so NOW it's a phase centering telescope?! Please excuse me while my head explodes. :lol:

Actually, while my experience is somewhat long, it's hardly broad. I'd say 96.7% of my microscope knowledge/experience has to do with Spencer and AO goods. Yours, on the other hand, covers many more makes and models. So, basically, I'll believe anything you tell me. :shock:

And now, in a sudden wild veer back onto topic, I wonder if Paul ever got his telescope thingy figured out? I'm betting he did, and is too busy marveling at those phase contrast views to mess with a forum.
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas

lorez

#9 Post by lorez » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:19 am

I wonder if Paul ever got his telescope thingy figured out
Who's Paul ? Where is he ? Didn't he start this whole thing ?

lorez

p3aul

#10 Post by p3aul » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:48 pm

Sorry fellas :lol: I was taking a hiatus while my other half had things for me to do, Just got around to reading(and laughing) all the suggestions. Well I got the Phase Contrast Centering Telescope figured out! The whole thing was well made, just assembled poorly. I The sleeve was not attached to the top lens the sleeve was just sitting in the barrel. I put the sleeve back on but the thumb screw that was supposed to hold the focusing tube at focus didn't have enough length to lock the sleeve in place. I managed to hold the tube in focus long enough to center the rings but it was a hassle. But you know what? I really wasn't impressed. I like the DYI/DIC, Oblique lighting, Van Edmond patches better. For $600 at Amscope it just isn't worth it. The kit came bundled with the microscope and even though the kit is defective(both the turret and the CT) I don't know if they will let me return just the PC kit. I am impressed with the microscope however. It is an Infinity Plan with full Kohler and is better that my old T400 so I want to keep it.

Paul

75RR

#11 Post by 75RR » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:44 pm

Don't know if you want to give the phase a chance, if not the T-160 without phase is a bit cheaper.
http://www.amazon.com/AmScope-T610-IPL- ... Scope+T610
http://www.amazon.com/AmScope-T610-IPL- ... Scope+T610
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

p3aul

#12 Post by p3aul » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:03 pm

Thanks 75. I am in contact with Amscope and they say they will give me a partial refund if I send the Phase kit back. The T690 scope that the PC kit is bundled with it is a better scope so I'm just going to keep it. Amscope is very strict that the scope must be packed up exactly as it was shipped and that is a big hassle. The images are brighter and sharper at kohler then my old scope. I have been pretty impressed with the images I have seen that utilize patches and filters in the filter tray. I don't bother with trying to print them on overhead transparency materiel I just cut them out of black card stock and put them in the filter tray. That won't work for the UGF filters though. I'll have to see if Office Depot or Staples can print me some.
Cheers!
Paul

lorez

#13 Post by lorez » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:54 pm

I really wasn't impressed.
This is not surprising. Some phase is just not very good and some to the low end Chinese stuff is even below that. If someone were to ask I would suggest they look for a phase scope from one of the mainstream companies; Nikon, Olympus, AO, etc. Scopes like the Nikon models Alphaphot, AlphaPhot2, LaboPhot, and LaboPhot2;, Olympus KHC, CH, CH2, BH, BH2: AO10, AO20. AO410, all have excellent phase contrast and in a variety of contrast values (DL, DLL, etc.) and as they age they are becoming more affordable. These are all old models so they may take a bit of searching, but I think they are worth the effort. The more recent models are every bit as good and better, but more expensive.

lorez

p3aul

#14 Post by p3aul » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:29 am

Some phase is just not very good and some to the low end Chinese stuff is even below that. I
It's not that. I didn't just buy the "Chinese stuff" because I couldn't afford anything better. I checked on google images searching for "epithelial cells Phase Contrast". My images looked as good as those but I just am not impressed with the whole PC thing. If I could fine a clean AO without the paint worn off with Plan lens for 5 or 6 I might get one just to compare it and have an extra on hand. One thing about this hobby, searching the web for microscopes is as addictive as looking through the Sear's Christmas catalog was when I was a boy!

Charles

#15 Post by Charles » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:54 pm

Well, I have one of those for sale:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/American-Optica ... SwZ8ZW5H4r

I'll let you pay $600 if you want to! :D

p3aul

#16 Post by p3aul » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:36 pm

Darn! Thats exactly the one I was looking at! Now that's a coincidence. I'll PM you.

AndyMilman

#17 Post by AndyMilman » Sun May 15, 2016 2:28 pm

Amscope & Phase Contrast:

I've been using an Amscope T690 with the phase contrast condenser & objectives for several years. Amscope is terrible about providing information on how to use their microscopes; you have to figure things out for yourself, but this product is pretty good. I also have a few Meiji p-c microscopes, which are more expensive, and they all work equally well--Amscope vs Meiji, IMHO.

The annuli in the objectives can be hard to see if there's no slide--or only a blank slide--in place. It works best with a slide with some partially transparent objects in it.

And it can be hard at first to focus the Centering Telescope correctly. Also, you can try rotating the turret a bit to help see the annulus in the objective.

I hope this helps.
ASM