Plasmonics Enable Optical Microscopes to Perform Like Electron Microscopes

Here you can discuss different microscopic techniques and illumination methods, such as Brightfield, Darkfield, Phase Contrast, DIC, Oblique illumination, etc.
kit1980

Plasmonics Enable Optical Microscopes to Perform Like Electron Microscopes

#1 Post by kit1980 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:20 am

Here is an article about new illumination technique: http://spectrum.ieee.org/nanoclast/biomedical/imaging/plasmonics-enable-optical-microscopes-to-perform-like-electron-microscopes: "researchers at the University of Missouri have developed a way to make an optical microscope resolve images down to 65 nanometers".

Not that it would be available to hobbyists any time soon, but interesting anyway.
Omax microscope with Nikon CF objectives
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II camera
http://sdymphoto.com/

apochronaut

Re: Plasmonics Enable Optical Microscopes to Perform Like Electron Microscopes

#2 Post by apochronaut » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:37 pm

Very interesting. Thanks for passing that on.
About a year ago, I read an article( I will try to find it) about a group of researchers in, maybe Taiwan? : can't exactly remember where, that were using a grid of nano particles that acted collectively like a lens; basically a thin layer layed over the object to increase it's apparent size. The basic principle , I gather was to pre-magnify the object which created a larger perfectly replicated version of it. This then would be magnified in a standard microscope in the conventional way. They were claiming magnifications of 25,000 diameters possible.

c-krebs

#3 Post by c-krebs » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:07 pm

Yes, very interesting indeed.
apochronaut wrote:About a year ago, I read an article( I will try to find it) about a group of researchers in, maybe Taiwan? : can't exactly remember where, that were using a grid of nano particles that acted collectively like a lens; basically a thin layer layed over the object to increase it's apparent size. The basic principle , I gather was to pre-magnify the object which created a larger perfectly replicated version of it. This then would be magnified in a standard microscope in the conventional way. They were claiming magnifications of 25,000 diameters possible.
This was almost spooky. Literally seconds before I read this post I was trying to remember where I saved the exact story you mention. One little detail I remember (don't know why) is that the image created in the "nano-spheres" was then magnified with an Olympus 80X MD Plan objective).

JimT

#5 Post by JimT » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:19 pm

kit1980, thanks for the post. Very interesting.

I was ready to make a DYI filter until I read it. Pretty impressive but I guess we will have to wait a bit longer before it is available to us :D

JimT

apochronaut

#6 Post by apochronaut » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:04 pm

Using conventional microscopy, too.

The group I read about were at the University of Taiwan , and the principle seemed similar , although they were using it with a laser scanning confocal microscope. The Taiwan group, made a specialized nano sphere coverslip that was used conventionally, though. IT was some time ago, I read about it, so perhaps the project got stalled or the one in England is a kind of 2nd generation attempt.

gekko

#7 Post by gekko » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:12 am

Thank you all for the very interesting links and discussion.