custom optics, wollaston/norm/pluta re furbishing old systems

Here you can discuss different microscopic techniques and illumination methods, such as Brightfield, Darkfield, Phase Contrast, DIC, Oblique illumination, etc.
Delamington_lens

custom optics, wollaston/norm/pluta re furbishing old systems

#1 Post by Delamington_lens » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:49 pm

Has anybody ever successfully rebuilt an older DIC system (eg PZO) using remanufactured prisms?
I assume each manufacturer has their own specifications, but surely there is a base standard one could build from correct?

I've noticed other laboratory services including wollaston prisms (and normarski etc,) curious if anybody has found this economical / or not.

I've seen many older technology based units (using canada balsam) and either have random prisms damaged or missing (being all prisms plucked from the spare parts before sale.)

Has any body successfully installed more recently fabricated optics into these older parts? (Or are the specifications usually proprietary?)
Or is it just simply more economical to purchase new equipment. (I've seen custom laser wollaston prisms start around $400usd each...)

Just a thought, probably better to ask than buy things ;)

Oktagon

Re: custom optics, wollaston/norm/pluta re furbishing old systems

#2 Post by Oktagon » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:46 pm

You raise interesting question. I have been playing with Zeiss gray line optics for more then 20 years, and thus far it has been more economically feasible to buy complete scopes, cannibalize them for parts and use the parts to assemble a complete working unit with no delamination, having fungus etc. Manufacturing DIC prisms is very complex process, requiring sofisticated equipment and allot of know-how. Older methods of cutting, cementing and mounting were mainly manual and therefore require highly skilled workers. Modern laser cutting is mainly automated. It is possible to manufacture components for older systems using modern techniques, but why? Why would Zeiss for example maintain spare parts inventory for legacy products, extending their service life, when they have new products to sell you? Marketing-wise that makes no sense. Modern products are designed and built with planned obsolescence, and the life cycle or Axioimmager, for example is 8-12 years. Compare that with planned life cycle of Photomic (25-50 yards according to Zeiss marketing literature form the 60's).
Due to the manufacturing expense involved, third party manufacturers are also unlikely to make DIC components for older scopes, because they will not be able to maintain sustainable profit margins.
So rebuilding DIC systems is left to hobbyists like us, cannibalizing parts from existing stands.

Delamington_lens

#3 Post by Delamington_lens » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:22 am

Yes, that seems to be my impression so far, planned obsolescence... I was hoping creating prisms was more economical with modern technology.
But as you pointed out, it is still a niche market.

All the vintage de-lamination seems to just be lack of storage care (re no desiccants,) ignorance regarding climate equilibrium when moving; and perhaps inferior mounting balsam degrading over time. Having said all that I've noticed some prisms are surprisingly pristine condition.

If only every microscopist 'owner' looked after and stored them correctly. :(

It must be personally satisfying restoring parts and creating a functional microscope system from neglected parts.

:)

75RR

#4 Post by 75RR » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:38 am

Don't know how strictly this applies in microscopy but I have heard that building a car from replacement parts would cost 3 times more than buying a new one from a dealer.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Oktagon

#5 Post by Oktagon » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:03 pm

Delamington_lens wrote:Yes, that seems to be my impression so far, planned obsolescence... I was hoping creating prisms was more economical with modern technology.
But as you pointed out, it is still a niche market.

All the vintage de-lamination seems to just be lack of storage care (re no desiccants,) ignorance regarding climate equilibrium when moving; and perhaps inferior mounting balsam degrading over time. Having said all that I've noticed some prisms are surprisingly pristine condition.

If only every microscopist 'owner' looked after and stored them correctly. :(

It must be personally satisfying restoring parts and creating a functional microscope system from neglected parts.

:)

Surprisingly delamination seems to be the plague of only the higher end Zeiss and Leitz optics, where in effort to achieve the highest NA and best correction lens elements are cemented together with Canada balsam or something else. In fact, I think that the optics cemented together with Canada balsam is restorable, at least the eyepieces are. I have restored several Zeiss kpl 10x18 occulars by submerging delaminates lens groups in acetone and xylene, followed by cleaning with 1M hydrochloric acid. No, coating is not removed by acid solution. I then used modern optical cement, aligned the lenses using a tube and pressed together with about 10kg of force for 8 hours. The eyepiece was like new. Now, there is an easier way to "fix" delaminated eyepieces temporarily by injecting immersion oil between delaminated lenses. It removes the lines and restores the optical quality for about a month. Then you have to repeat it, although eventually gunk from the immersion oil will make situation worse, and you would have to de-cement the lens and do it properly.
Thus far I have not been able to restore objectives or prism elements in beam splitters, heads etc.

75RR

#6 Post by 75RR » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:19 pm

Did you by any chance record this process with a camera? - would be interested in seeing not only how you did it but also what it all actually looks like.

Delamington_lens

#7 Post by Delamington_lens » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:26 pm

I see.

Very interesting :)

Oktagon

#8 Post by Oktagon » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:15 pm

75RR wrote:Did you by any chance record this process with a camera? - would be interested in seeing not only how you did it but also what it all actually looks like.

I did not, but it is not a bad idea. Next time I do it, I'll set up a camera to record the process. When I did it, I was more concered about abequate ventilation due to all the solvents used.
I might try to restore an older delaminated planapo objective I have recently purchased for next to nothing. The delamination renders it practiaally useless, so even if I screw it up, not much will be lost.

75RR

#9 Post by 75RR » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:33 pm

Oktagon wrote:
75RR wrote:Did you by any chance record this process with a camera? - would be interested in seeing not only how you did it but also what it all actually looks like.

I did not, but it is not a bad idea. Next time I do it, I'll set up a camera to record the process. When I did it, I was more concered about abequate ventilation due to all the solvents used.
I might try to restore an older delaminated planapo objective I have recently purchased for next to nothing. The delamination renders it practiaally useless, so even if I screw it up, not much will be lost.
Have you seen this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/MICROSCOPE-COLL ... XQWzNSnM4N

These are the instructions: http://goo.gl/C8bwaF

Oktagon

#10 Post by Oktagon » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:28 pm

Yes, thank you. I have it.

billbillt

#11 Post by billbillt » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:49 pm

I am also interested in following the process you use for restoration...
BillT