Fluorescent capability?

Here you can discuss different microscopic techniques and illumination methods, such as Brightfield, Darkfield, Phase Contrast, DIC, Oblique illumination, etc.
RudiV

Fluorescent capability?

#1 Post by RudiV » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:06 pm

Hi Everyone.

I have an opportunity to get a fluorescent illumination capable microscope in a good condition at a reasonable price. I am considering adding it to my collection because it is different but also to experiment with a new lighting technique.

I have seen a few images posted on this forum but it does not seem to be a very popular illumination technique, does anyone here have experience? Any suggestions as to the best areas to use fluorescence?

Any advice would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Rudi

billbillt

Re: Fluorescent capability?

#2 Post by billbillt » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:03 pm

Hi Rudi,

At one time I was interested it obtaining a fluorescent microscope.. After doing some extra research, I decided against it.. It seems the high pressure bulb for lighting is a very expensive(to me)replacement item.. It has a life span rated in hours, not days... Along with the cost of the staining materials, which are expensive also.. Here is a link to a DIY stand you could possibly fabricate yourself.. At least take not on the photo of the mounted LED's... They are clearly marked in the required nm of the respective light frequency that seems to be needed...

Best Regards,
BillT

zzffnn

#3 Post by zzffnn » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:00 pm

chlorophyll, some crustaceans and some minerals can produce fluorescence.

I am not pursuing it because application is limited to me and cost is quite high, if you want the short exposure/low noise image at high magnification. At low magnification with long exposure, a powerful UV LED will work for cheap.

RudiV

#4 Post by RudiV » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:07 am

billbillt wrote:Hi Rudi,

At one time I was interested it obtaining a fluorescent microscope.. After doing some extra research, I decided against it.. It seems the high pressure bulb for lighting is a very expensive(to me)replacement item.. It has a life span rated in hours, not days... Along with the cost of the staining materials, which are expensive also.. Here is a link to a DIY stand you could possibly fabricate yourself.. At least take not on the photo of the mounted LED's... They are clearly marked in the required nm of the respective light frequency that seems to be needed...

Best Regards,
BillT
Hi BillT.

Thanks for the information.

Yes, I think it will only be a low usage mode for me but having the capability is exciting (plus as a collector I need one to complete the range!). I did some research as I was worried about the mercury lamp. Life is quoted as 200 hours by Olympus and 300 hours by Osram, the danger seems to be that if you stretch it too long it might burst and then you have mercury fumes to deal with!

The cost of the lamp is not too bad, I can get them (Osram) at $100 or just below, compared to some of my other hobbies $100 for 200 hours is really cheap! But I agree, a conversion to LED might be a good option.

I have not really looked into staining materials, I am mostly interested in natural fluorescence but I will take it into account, thanks!

Appreciate your time,
Rudi
Last edited by RudiV on Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

RudiV

#5 Post by RudiV » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:26 am

zzffnn wrote:chlorophyll, some crustaceans and some minerals can produce fluorescence.

I am not pursuing it because application is limited to me and cost is quite high, if you want the short exposure/low noise image at high magnification. At low magnification with long exposure, a powerful UV LED will work for cheap.
Hi zzffnn.

Thanks for your comment! Yes, I can see that it won't be my most used scope, but it would be usable as a normal transmitted light scope as well.

I would be happy to maintain the mercury lighting setup but long exposures are fine as most of my subjects would not be moving and my camera equipment works really well with long exposure and high ISO setups. I often go up to ISO 64000 for commercial work with good results.

One of the first things I would need to do is get a spare lamp, I remember my disappointment clearly when I got my pristine CX-41 and after only 5 minutes the 150W halogen lamp blew. It was a long 2 weeks waiting for a replacement, I have now stocked up on all lamps I need to keep my scopes running!

Thanks for your time,
Rudi

zzffnn

#6 Post by zzffnn » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:50 pm

Rudi,

This threads shows you how well 1-2 $40 UV LED torches work at low magnification. Relatively long exposure (~30 second or more) is needed though.

Edit: here is the page: http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... 23&start=0

That thread also contains a link Pau's LED epi illuminator. That is the more expensive, high power and high magnification way. No mercury bulb to change, but DIY is needed. You still need all parts of a UV epi illuminator rig, just replace mercury bulb with LED. Exposure time is lowered a few seconds. For more fun, add a green LED for high resolution green light photography.
Last edited by zzffnn on Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

billbillt

#7 Post by billbillt » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:49 pm

RudiV wrote:Hi Everyone.

I have an opportunity to get a fluorescent illumination capable microscope in a good condition at a reasonable price. I am considering adding it to my collection because it is different but also to experiment with a new lighting technique.

I have seen a few images posted on this forum but it does not seem to be a very popular illumination technique, does anyone here have experience? Any suggestions as to the best areas to use fluorescence?

Thanks,
Rudi
Hi Rudi,

If money is no restraint, then go for it!...I would like to see some of your work from it..

BillT

zzffnn

#8 Post by zzffnn » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:57 pm

Sorry, I forgot to post that web page. Post edited.

RudiV

#9 Post by RudiV » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:04 pm

zzffnn wrote:Rudi,

This threads shows you how well 1-2 $40 UV LED torches work at low magnification. Relatively long exposure (~30 second or more) is needed though.

Edit: here is the page: http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... 23&start=0

That thread also contains a link Pau's LED epi illuminator. That is the more expensive, high power and high magnification way. No mercury bulb to change, but DIY is needed. You still need all parts of a UV epi illuminator rig, just replace mercury bulb with LED. Exposure time is lowered a few seconds. For more fun, add a green LED for high resolution green light photography.
Thanks, interesting!

I like Pau's solution and I love the DIY bit, any excuse to "fiddle" a bit!

I will be shopping for LED's, the green LED can also be interesting, lots to play with, thanks!

Rudi

RudiV

#10 Post by RudiV » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:05 pm

billbillt wrote:
RudiV wrote:Hi Everyone.

Thanks,
Rudi
Hi Rudi,

If money is no restraint, then go for it!...I would like to see some of your work from it..

BillT
Hi BillT,

Hope to produce some images one of these days, it is just the shipping delays that are so frustrating....

Rudi

RudiV

#11 Post by RudiV » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:30 pm

Ok, deal made, soon there will be a new scope to play with, and new things to learn!

Now to find a good source of spare mercury lamps!

Rudi

RudiV

#12 Post by RudiV » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:39 am

I managed to get a good deal on 4 mercury lamps. Seems like there are 2 versions, a cheaper one (HBO 100 W/2) rated at 200 hours and a slightly more expensive one (HBO 103 W/2) that is rated for 300 hours life. According to the Olympus manual you can use either, at only a few $'s more I opted for the 300 hour version.

Should last me a while!

Now I wait again....

Rudi

billbillt

#13 Post by billbillt » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:37 pm

RudiV wrote:Ok, deal made, soon there will be a new scope to play with, and new things to learn!

Now to find a good source of spare mercury lamps!

Rudi
Hi Rudi,

OH YES!!... This is it!!.... I am excited with you!... Looking forward to seeing photos from it.. Also what stains you have to purchase and where...

BillT

RudiV

#14 Post by RudiV » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:23 pm

billbillt wrote:
Hi Rudi,

OH YES!!... This is it!!.... I am excited with you!... Looking forward to seeing photos from it.. Also what stains you have to purchase and where...

BillT
Hi BillT!

Thanks, yes, excited as well, have spent quite a bit of time reading up on techniques and stains. I am now looking for suppliers, would be nice if I can place an order soon so that the stains get here about the same time as the scope. Lots "incoming" at the moment including 2 metallurgical scopes as well. Would need to extend my workplace soon.....

Thanks for the encouragement!
Rudi

Johann

#15 Post by Johann » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:53 am

Omax M837ZL
Olympus BX53
Leica MZ6
My Facebook Page
My YouTube Channel