Buib size for orthoplan

Here you can discuss different microscopic techniques and illumination methods, such as Brightfield, Darkfield, Phase Contrast, DIC, Oblique illumination, etc.
Culicoides

Buib size for orthoplan

#1 Post by Culicoides » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:32 pm

I too have an orthoplan, and find the power supply for the 100watt 12 volt lamp in the lamp house 100 too unwieldy. John B posted a thread recently about using a 50watt lamp at 12 volts in this lamp housing. Could I ask John B. What the base was for the 50watt lamp he used in this lamp housing - G4, g6.35, gy6.35 or other? The lamp house bases are a real nightmare, to me at least. Many thanks from another JB in Guildford.

mrsonchus

Re: Buib size for orthoplan

#2 Post by mrsonchus » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:14 pm

Hi, yes I simply plugged-in the G4 bulb as it's the same fitting that the former 100W Halogen has - I shortened the 'prongs' a tiny bit to get it to sit nicely and off it went - 4 bulbs for £6 and I'm still using the first of the 4 I bought!

This refers to my lamp-housing which is the 100Z model that is intended to hold a 100W halogen. I found the 100W much too bright (not to mention HOT) and didn't like turning it down to yellows to use it! I fitted a cheap 12V controller, an LED dimmable transformer and an inline ('torpedo') switch just before the input of the controller, which I simply stuck to the side of the Orthoplan as seen in the below image using double-sided tape. The massive Leitz power supply is now in a box, not taking up desk space.

Of course with this rig I'm able to fit, and have done but removed as I prefer the halogen's 'warm white' + blue filter at lamp-house end, an LED bulb if desired.

No giant power-supply needed here!
orthoplan-new-power-control.jpg
orthoplan-new-power-control.jpg (97.14 KiB) Viewed 8044 times
This rig can take LED, halogen or whatever you prefer, all these bulb types worked perfectly,
ws_DSCN8040.jpg
ws_DSCN8040.jpg (157.45 KiB) Viewed 8044 times
Here's an LED fitted straight in,
ws_DSCN8039.jpg
ws_DSCN8039.jpg (143.1 KiB) Viewed 8044 times
These are the 40/70W halogens I now use - £6 for 4 bulbs and I'm still using the first one - I always leave it at 12V and use a variable ND-filter for level (as used on cameras) and the usual blue filter at the lamp-house filter-holder end (the big ones),
ws_halogen bulbs 40W.jpg
ws_halogen bulbs 40W.jpg (67.69 KiB) Viewed 8044 times
with a nice big blue filter,
ws_DSCN8046.jpg
ws_DSCN8046.jpg (144.51 KiB) Viewed 8044 times
This rig works beautifully for me with all abjectives including the x100 oil, and plenty of power for the camera too!

If you need to know more just let me know.

John B. :)
John B

Culicoides

#3 Post by Culicoides » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:06 am

John B: exactly the information I needed. Very many thanks. (Sorry I couldn't spell "bulb"!)

henryr

#4 Post by henryr » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:55 am

mrsonchus wrote:Hi, yes I simply plugged-in the G4 bulb as it's the same fitting that the former 100W Halogen has - I shortened the 'prongs' a tiny bit to get it to sit nicely and off it went - 4 bulbs for £6 and I'm still using the first of the 4 I bought!

This rig can take LED, halogen or whatever you prefer, all these bulb types worked perfectly,
ws_DSCN8040.jpg

Great info on bulbs for the 100z. I have a 100z and have been looking for the procedure for bulb alignment using the six adjustment knobs. So far no luck. I'm hoping you or someone can help. Also is some additional part or device required?

Thanks,
henryr

henryr

#5 Post by henryr » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:47 am

henryr wrote:
mrsonchus wrote:Hi, yes I simply plugged-in the G4 bulb as it's the same fitting that the former 100W Halogen has - I shortened the 'prongs' a tiny bit to get it to sit nicely and off it went - 4 bulbs for £6 and I'm still using the first of the 4 I bought!

ws_DSCN8040.jpg

Great info on bulbs for the 100z. I have a 100z and have been looking for the procedure for bulb alignment using the six adjustment knobs. So far no luck. I'm hoping you or someone can help. Also is some additional part or device required?

Thanks,
henryr
I just found the Leitz 100 and 100Z instruction pdf. Seems some pages are missing...jumps from page 9 to page 15. Instructions say place the adjustment disc on the dust glass. So I have two question: what does an adjustment disc look like and what/where is the dust glass on the microscope?

MichaelG.

#6 Post by MichaelG. » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:56 am

henryr wrote:I just found the Leitz 100 and 100Z instruction pdf. Seems some pages are missing...jumps from page 9 to page 15. Instructions say place the adjustment disc on the dust glass. So I have two question: what does an adjustment disc look like and what/where is the dust glass on the microscope?
Hello, Henry,
The adjustment disc is lightly frosted and has a set of concentric rings ... A sheet of tracing film will do nicely as a substitute: it's just acting as a 'ground-glass screen'.
It is placed on the 'dust glass' which protects the iris diaphragm and mirror in the base of the microscope.

Illustrated quite nicely, here: http://earth2geologists.net/Microscopes ... ate60s.pdf

MichaelG.
Edited to include hyperlink.
Too many 'projects'

mrsonchus

#7 Post by mrsonchus » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:43 pm

Same here - I just hold (flat of course) a piece of 'tracing paper' over the hole above the Orthoplan's mirror (having removed the 'cover-glass assembly by simply loosening the turn-screw that holds it firm and lifting it away) and use this to view the progress of the set-up.

The basic idea is to position the bulb so that it's own image and that of it's reflection from the mirror behind the bulb are side-by side and focused (as well as possible - the collector lens in the light-housing of the Orthoplan is frosted!) on the tracing-paper.

The positioning is a matter of using the bulb sideways and up/down adjustment knobs to get the real bulb and it's reflection adjacent but not quite 'touching'.
To 'focus' the reflected bulb (onto the tracing-paper) the mirror-assembly of the lamp housing is simply pulled/pushed in/out as needed to focus (as best you can - it's not very good at all).
Then after positioning the bulb so the reflection and bulb images are adjacent and focused the collector-lens adjuster of the lamp house, that moves the lens towards or away from the bulb, is used to de-focus (i.e. blur) these two bright-spots so that they merge to give the largest and most even light-source achievable.
The rest of the job of perfecting the light's evenness is then up to the field-iris, condenser and Kohler!

It sounds harder than it is, once you realise the aim is to have the 'double images' of the bulb then merge them together (not to overlap each other but to merge at the edges to give the widest light-source) as a blurred/frosted light-source.

I'll take a few images if I get the chance today of the process.

John B.
John B

henryr

#8 Post by henryr » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:37 pm

MichaelG. wrote:
henryr wrote: Hello, Henry,
The adjustment disc is lightly frosted and has a set of concentric rings ... A sheet of tracing film will do nicely as a substitute: it's just acting as a 'ground-glass screen'.
It is placed on the 'dust glass' which protects the iris diaphragm and mirror in the base of the microscope.

MichaelG.
Edited to include hyperlink.
Thanks for the info. I finally found a complete manual for the 100 and 100z illuminators. I also found a complete dialux manual and, in the picture of scope with numbered parts list, it shows the dustglass. So I'm ready to adjust my 100z. And I have a plastic disc, that is like a ground glass, that I use on my telescope.

And just thought I would mention this little fix...it may help others. And I have no connection with Nye lubes but they have worked great for me. The adjustment shaft for the focusing condenser was binding up when turning the knob. I cleaned the shaft and lubricated it with Nyogel 774vl and now it works great.

Culicoides

#9 Post by Culicoides » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:20 pm

Very useful information on focussing the bulb.
Note, however, the bulb size is G6.35. My orthoplan won't take G4 bulbs of which the pins are slightly closer apart. Some sockets will take both sizes, but be warned; you seem to be lucky, JOHN B., as your photos show both.
What a great forum this is!

mrsonchus

#10 Post by mrsonchus » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:04 pm

Culicoides wrote:Very useful information on focussing the bulb.
Note, however, the bulb size is G6.35. My orthoplan won't take G4 bulbs of which the pins are slightly closer apart. Some sockets will take both sizes, but be warned; you seem to be lucky, JOHN B., as your photos show both.
What a great forum this is!
Aha! I very likely just gave the pins a 'little encouragement' to go to the exact position - after all's said and done the lamp house is just a bulb-holder with adjustments! :)
John B