Gradient light interference microscopy

Here you can discuss different microscopic techniques and illumination methods, such as Brightfield, Darkfield, Phase Contrast, DIC, Oblique illumination, etc.
wporter

Gradient light interference microscopy

#1 Post by wporter » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:43 pm

Here's a paper for those interested in this new technique:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-017-00190-7

A little beyond us kitchen-sink microscopists, but interesting.

from the introduction: "...imaging optically thick, multiple scattering specimens is still challenging for any optical method, including QPI. The fundamental obstacle is that multiple scattering generates an incoherent background, which ultimately degrades the image contrast. An imaging method dedicated to imaging these thick specimens must include a mechanism to subdue the multiple scattering backgrounds and exhibit strong sectioning to suppress the out-of-focus light. To overcome these challenges, here we introduce a new QPI method, referred to as gradient light interference microscopy (GLIM). GLIM combines DIC microscopy with low-coherence interferometry and holography."

JimT

Re: Gradient light interference microscopy

#2 Post by JimT » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:49 pm

Bill, about a year and a half ago 75RR posted a site;

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=15142

that allows us kitchen-sink microscopists to simulate the effect.

Thanks for the article. It made my head hurt :)

zzffnn

#3 Post by zzffnn » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:56 pm

JimT,

I am guessing you were referring to this thread (your original link does not work):
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=15142

JimT

#4 Post by JimT » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:12 pm

Yes. Thanks for the edit. As I said, we kitchen sink microscopists need all the help we can get.

apochronaut

#5 Post by apochronaut » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:25 pm

wporter wrote:Here's a paper for those interested in this new technique:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-017-00190-7

A little beyond us kitchen-sink microscopists, but interesting.

from the introduction: "...imaging optically thick, multiple scattering specimens is still challenging for any optical method, including QPI. The fundamental obstacle is that multiple scattering generates an incoherent background, which ultimately degrades the image contrast. An imaging method dedicated to imaging these thick specimens must include a mechanism to subdue the multiple scattering backgrounds and exhibit strong sectioning to suppress the out-of-focus light. To overcome these challenges, here we introduce a new QPI method, referred to as gradient light interference microscopy (GLIM). GLIM combines DIC microscopy with low-coherence interferometry and holography."
after reading that link, I clearly realized that GLIM is no doubt a radical improvement over the DLIM microscopy that I have been practicing, it seems also for about 4 centuries. DLIM is an acronym for Dim, Limited, Interfered with Microscopy.

wporter

#6 Post by wporter » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:29 pm

That sounds similar to ISM-FTS (I See More Floaters Than Subjects) microscopy.

KurtM

#7 Post by KurtM » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:31 am

The high-flown technical concepts under discussion are interesting and all, but for my money "kitchen-sink microscopists" is one of the finest contributions to this forum ever. Good on you sir, and a toast your way with words!
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas
email: ngc704(at)gmail(dot)com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/67904872@ ... 912223623/

mrsonchus

#8 Post by mrsonchus » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:47 am

KurtM wrote:The high-flown technical concepts under discussion are interesting and all, but for my money "kitchen-sink microscopists" is one of the finest contributions to this forum ever. Good on you sir, and a toast your way with words!
Must agree with you Kurt. Why only this morning my Wife thought I'd cut my arm off when all I'd been doing (at said sink) was rinsing an empty basic-Fuchsin bottle! :D
John B

billbillt

#9 Post by billbillt » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:20 pm

KurtM wrote:The high-flown technical concepts under discussion are interesting and all, but for my money "kitchen-sink microscopists" is one of the finest contributions to this forum ever. Good on you sir, and a toast your way with words!
I completely agree to posting the quick version of any subject.. This makes it much easier for all of us to get up and running with a new idea, but some of us sometimes like to know the "how" and "why" of something..

BillT