Drop in darkfield for the filter ring

Here you can discuss different microscopic techniques and illumination methods, such as Brightfield, Darkfield, Phase Contrast, DIC, Oblique illumination, etc.
coominya

Drop in darkfield for the filter ring

#1 Post by coominya » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:23 am

Has anyone had any experience with these? The go in my filter ring below the condenser. Any reason not to buy them and experiment?

ebay link https://tinyurl.com/ybsfnqm6

There are other variants. Here is the full range

https://tinyurl.com/y9z6ez4u

75RR

Re: Drop in darkfield for the filter ring

#2 Post by 75RR » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:37 am

Should work fine. They are similar in design to some homemade ones I made up by printing on transparencies that worked quite well.
These should in fact work a bit better. Less smudge!
You may need to vertically adjust the condenser a little to fine tune the darkfield stops.
Make sure your filter holder accepts 32mm filters
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

MicroBob

#3 Post by MicroBob » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:31 am

You might first try with a homemade one (coin, washer, aluminium foil circle on slide, overhead projector plastic sheet...)
Not all condensers work similarly well with dark field stops in the filter holder.

zzffnn

#4 Post by zzffnn » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:24 pm

You may draw circles on glass slide using precision circle templates. Then precisely fill those drawn circles with craft putty and precisely remove excess with knife. Protect finished putty stops with transparent tape.

Use putty to attach said slides to conden bottom, using the other side of the slide.

coominya

#5 Post by coominya » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:04 pm

75RR wrote:Should work fine...
You may need to vertically adjust the condenser a little to fine tune the darkfield stops.
Make sure your filter holder accepts 32mm filters
yes it's 32mm at the top, 30 at the bottom, I checked it with the digital vernier.
MicroBob wrote:You might first try with a homemade one...
Not all condensers work similarly well with dark field stops in the filter holder.
Good point. I'll rough something up for a test first.
zzffnn wrote:You may draw circles on glass slide using precision circle templates. Then precisely fill those drawn circles with craft putty
I have said template, and plenty of blutac, that should do.

desertrat

#6 Post by desertrat » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:44 pm

I hope this isn't misinformation, and someone please correct me if it is. My memory isn't the greatest anymore. In a microscopy book published around 1900, and I'm not sure which one it was, it was recommended to place dark field and oblique illumination stops as close to the condenser iris diaphragm as possible.

In many modern Abbe condensers, the filter holder is quite a distance below the diaphragm. If your condenser allows you to remove the block containing the lenses, you might be able to drop in the stops right on top of the iris. This is what I do with my A/O Abbe condensers, even though some of them have filter holders at the bottom of the condenser bodies.
Rick

A/O 10 Series Microstar
A/O 4 Series Microstar
A/O 4 Series Phasestar
A/O 4 Series Apostar
A/O Cycloptic Stereo
Several old monocular scopes in more or less decrepit but usable condition