Nikon Labophot DIC equipment requirements. Noob alert. ELI5

Here you can discuss different microscopic techniques and illumination methods, such as Brightfield, Darkfield, Phase Contrast, DIC, Oblique illumination, etc.
fibreoptix

Nikon Labophot DIC equipment requirements. Noob alert. ELI5

#1 Post by fibreoptix » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:05 pm

Hello I have a Nikon Labophot. Got it at a good price even through I'm missing the optical tube that came with the scope. I'm a new to the whole microscopy thing and learning about the different lighting techniques as a photographer is interesting. DIC has struck me as the pinnacle of microscopy in terms of photography.

Now I'm not planning to add on a DIC system. If I had that money I'd just buy a DIC ready scope out right. However I am curious on what parts I would need to convert my scope into a DIC. Like I said I'm new to it all.

So from top to bottom from what I am beginning to understand. (I do not know the technical names for parts)

1. There needs to be a lighting instrument (DIC specified?) with a prism below the eyepiece assembly and above the objective turret?

2. There needs to be a DIC turret with prism sliders in each slot?

3. The objectives need to be PLAN or are there DIC specific obj's?

4. Condenser needs to have a DIC insert? I do not know what is on that insert...another prism?

Again total noob right now. Also is it possible to have both Phase Contrast and DIC on the same scope?
I know they are 2 different contrast techniques, so probably not, but just want to be sure. Again total noob.

While I'm here, as someone who is interested in video microscopy what other techniques or tools can be used to create wow photography.

Craig Smith is an award winning photographer. He uses a Zeiss Universal with DIC.... example here

[youtube] https://youtu.be/W68XfPVqAEE [/youtube]

Okay so the DIC provides embossed contrast...But how does he achieve the colors. What is used to create the blue background? Some of his work has gradient from one colour to another. Are these simply glass filters? If so how does the orange show up? It is light from the DIC set up or is he using an additional technique?

Thank you for any guidance you can provide.

75RR

Re: Nikon Labophot DIC equipment requirements. Noob alert. ELI5

#2 Post by 75RR » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:06 am

I found this to be a good description of its workings:

https://www.microscopyu.com/pdfs/Lassle ... 9-2006.pdf
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

fibreoptix

#3 Post by fibreoptix » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:00 am

Thank you very much. That explains alot. Downloaded.

Is there a pdf or documentation in regards to some sort of kit that was sold back in the day and how to install it on my scope? For example a prism below the analyzer. Is the analyzer and prisim together? Or separated?

Model names and numbers is what Im trying to say. Its really confusing seeing all these parts on ebay and other sites but not having a clue if its compatible or not.

75RR

#4 Post by 75RR » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:09 am

DIC is not something one can readily DIY.
That means that you will have to obtain ready made components from a major manufacturer - in your case Nikon.
You need however to make sure that your microscope model is DIC capable.

From this entry it would seem not:

https://www.microscopyu.com/museum/labo ... microscope
Last edited by 75RR on Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

fibreoptix

#5 Post by fibreoptix » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:49 am

So confused......

https://lavinia.as.arizona.edu/~mtuell/ ... ophot.html

Oh well. Its not like I can afford the components anyway even if it could do DIC. I just want to achieve good dark feild really and a way to film. At least that (really nice site btw) article states it can do dark feild. Just need to find a dry condenser that can....oh and a phototube for the trinoc head.

Thanks for the link btw.

Aenima

#6 Post by Aenima » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:10 pm

Taking a look at the gradient universal filter might be a good move towards getting a similar effect photographically - at least it is an easy and cheap solution. :)

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5466&hilit=guf
Regards

Jay